X

Back-end squirlyness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-end squirlyness

I had my chain tightened the other day and now the bike has a kind of squirly back end when I really get on the breaks...

What did we do wrong when we tightened the chain, and what can I do to fix this problem?

maybe the wheel isnt straight?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
      maybe the wheel isnt straight?
      That would be the first thing that I check. Did you use the alignemnts marks in the swingarm? I have heard that they can be very inaccurate. You should look down along the chein to make sure that everything is lined up. Motorcyclist or Sport Rider magazine had a write up on how to do a wheel alignment using string. You can find it on their website.

Comment

Turns out the swingarm was loose... I tightened it back up...

Comment

Originally posted by UNDPilot_Alex
          Turns out the swingarm was loose... I tightened it back up...

Uhhhm, I've pulled a swingarm on a Kat before and it's no picnic. It's a solid pull to get them out and a 2x4 and hammer to get them back in. I supposed under pressure it might move a hair but the bearings and spacer are fitted to the bolt and there should be no room at all in the frame for it to move side to side. Also that is a heavy torque nut (don't have the numbers in front of me but I remember some "umph" last time around) and should not be loose unless it was done intentionally, i.e. that bolt will never vibrate loose.

Unless you have pulled the swingarm out yourself or loosened that nut then you might be wanting to look a little deeper to see what's really going on there. Your swingarm should only move up and down, period, and that nut should never come loose, period. If either or in your case both of these things happen, you have problems that need addressed, probably bearings.
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

The guy that tightened my chain loosened the big castle nut on the rear axle and then loosened the bolts at the back of the swingarm and pulled on the tire... After that he tightened everything up, but didn't tighten the castle nut as tight as it was before. He put the cotter pin back in, and I asked him if it was tight enough and he said that he did it correctly and whoever put it on last time put it on too tight.

Did he tighten the chain correctly?

He didn't seem to know what he was doing, and he didn't have the propper tools, so I know I won't take my bike to him again.

Comment

OK well that is a different story then. That is your axle, not your swingarm bolt. Sounds like the basic procedure was pretty much right. You might want to check your chain slack to make sure you've got about 1" of play in it. Especially if you had to retighten it, chances are the wheel moved and is either out of line or chain slack is wrong which will wear out your chain and sprockets faster and can lead to bigger issues like it breaking.
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I realize I'm late to the party when the problem's already resolved

For the future -- how to tell when you need a new chain:

If lifting the chain there, you can get over 1mm off the sprocket, it's time for a new chain and sprockets.

From CyberPoet's "Motorcycle Chain wear and maintenance webpage"

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X