X

Teaching a GF how to ride....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching a GF how to ride....

Alright, anybody have a good approach to teaching my gf how to ride? she tried it once and was just fine until the stopped, i just don't think she really knew how heavy the bike was (not the kat, my 1st bike actually).
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Gonna need more input on this one.
    Sometimes a few trips around the parking lot and they are on the street...teach them how to stop & start, slow turns. I learned in the dirt, and that's a good training method as well...(the dirt is softer than pavement). Everyone is different but MSF is always a good place to start...

Comment

Best way to learn MSF course !!! For sure !!

But as far as practicing goes: big, empty, vacant parking lot. If she can keep her balance while riding..you and a friend can walk or jog beside her,one on either side (but watch your distance ) so when she is ready to stop, you can help her in case she loses her balance. Also its hard to learn on a heavy bike, and it can be real intimidating, especially also if her feet dont quite touch the ground flat foot.

Thats how we taught Crunchie how to do it. But she'll be taking the MSF course soon.

Comment

LOL
        I tought a GF to ride.
        I said "get on"
        "OK, clutch here, shift here, gas here and this is the brake. Once you're going pick up your feet."
        Off she went..
        She got to the end of the cul-de-sac. stopped.
        put it in nutral. put down the side stand. and got off.
        LOL
        I turned it around and she went again.
        After three trips she said she was going to try leaving the road. About a half hour later she came back with a wicked grin.. Another one hooked.
        She rode my bike a lot. even after it was full on cafe racer, she was about 5' and could only touch on one side with her toes.. I think the important thing is can your GF drive a standard?
        The muscle memory attached to Left clutch, right gas/ right brake, is strong and gets you a long way to paying attention to the other things..

Comment

Yup...thats about it! Just keep at it! Start real slow...give her your old MSF book, make sure she masters the little things before moving on. It takes a while, but when I was teaching my fiance how to ride, she got frustrated at first, but once she caught on she loved it. Starting, shifting, slowing down, cornering etc. This is definitely a case of practice makes perfect. Good luck!
          Always keep your head up

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman
            Yup...thats about it! Just keep at it! Start real slow...give her your old MSF book, make sure she masters the little things before moving on. It takes a while, but when I was teaching my fiance how to ride, she got frustrated at first, but once she caught on she loved it. Starting, shifting, slowing down, cornering etc. This is definitely a case of practice makes perfect. Good luck!
            LOL
            That's what I did right after buying the Kat!!
            I didn't take it on the open road for a week!
            After not riding for 5 years I wasn't taking any chances!

Comment

thanks for the input there guys, if i need more help for her, then i'm sure to be back. i live like litterally a stones throw away from a church with a huge lot, so i'm sure we could go over there (thats where we went before).
              if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

think the important thing is can your GF drive a standard?
                I can't drive a standard

Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

I bet you could now if you tried!

Comment

I wouldn't even bother, take the course, and then she gets all the saftey stuff included, somewhere set up for learning. If she knows the concept of manual it will be easier, if not, start from scratch.
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Get her a small bike, like a 250 or 500cc then get going from there. Not to heavy, not to big, and not to intimidating.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

just get her a moped. cant go wrong with the great gas milage

Comment

Originally posted by lucky6man
                          just get her a moped. cant go wrong with the great gas milage
                          and you get ur exercise pedaling with them too!!

Comment

Practice and more practice, just don't raise your voice at her when she does something wrong.
                            large parking lot and MSF course is the best way.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Why would you raise your voice when you have 2 perfectly good back hands?

Ok, that was wrong, I will go to my closet of shame now.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X