X

92 katana wont idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 katana wont idle

ok so i have been working on this 92 katana 600 for about three months now and have still had no success in getting it to idle. First i will start by saying what i have done to it so far. Every single person i asked as to why it wouldnt idle told me that the carbs needed to be cleaned. so i bought a chem dip and cleaned them thorougly. Then they said i probably didnt do it right so i took it to a professional shop and had them cleaned and rejetted and all that good stuff. that didnt change anything so i know the carbs arent the issue. I checked for vacume leaks on the carb boots and took each one off and replaced the o-ring and resealed all of them. That did nothing. Recently i took the valve cover off and brought all of the valves to within tolerance so we know thats not it. Every cylinder has good pressure so thats all good. Also people told me to buy the stock airbox so i did and installed it and jetted it for the stock airbox and it did nothing. I am back to pods now cause the carbs are jetted out for pods right now. Also when the carbs are synced the right two carbs are much cooler than the left two. The headers are a couple hundred degrees cooler. around the 250 range. but when i adjust the carbs i can bring those temps up so i brought all the temps to around the same to make sure they are all carying equal load and that did nothing. Also i checked the coils and wires and they are all good and i replaced the spark plugs as well. So thats about it. I dont know what else is can be but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. also there are two rubber conector things coming out of the carbs that i just leave open. They are near the top of the carbs. am i supposed to restrict air to those or something? the shop told me to just let them vent to the atmosphere. also i live in california and i hear there is some emission thing on the california carbs that most other states dont have so im not sure if thats it.
    So thats all i got. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

thanks guys

What are your A/F screw settings? What jets are in there?

Also, you cleaned the carbs, but did you replace any rubber parts? Are the plugs in the pilot jet holes?
    Last edited by 05RedKat600; 04-05-2012, 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

the a/f is at 2.5 and the jets are at 34 size dynojets. and yes we did replace all the rubber and yes those plugs are on them and we made sure they are air tight and sealing well.

Comment

DJ34 don't exist. DJ134 do and that's stage 3. Next time you have a "professional" shop work on your carbs. Pick one that has a clue.

Comment

i figured you could figure that one out on your own. yes 134.

Comment

Originally posted by Motojosh1 View Post
            i figured you could figure that one out on your own. yes 134.
            Get yourself a set of stock Mikuni jets, install those, and then install the airbox. Then you can start trouble shooting, because right now it's a crap shoot.

Comment

Are you saying you typed the wrong number because you figured we could "figure it out on our own"? Seriously?

Comment

i had the airbox and the stock jets on and it didnt make any difference

Comment

Originally posted by Motojosh1 View Post
                  i had the airbox and the stock jets on and it didnt make any difference
                  Stock Mikuni jets? Or stock equivalent DJ jets?

Do you have the o-rings under the black caps on the diaphragms on the carbs? You have a leak somewhere, your float level is wrong maybe? Did you check that?

Also, what do you mean by won't idle? Rough idle, idles high, idles low, misses....

Comment

i had 112.5 jets in it, im not sure what brand, when i got it so i reinstalled those when i put the airbox back on. but would the jet size really matter that much on the idle? im probably wrong but isnt it all in the pilot jets? but yes i replaced those o-rings and made sure that they sealed. the shop i took it too told me that they set all the floats at the right height. and anything below 3,000 on the idle it is really inconsistent. it jumps up randomly and sticks sometimes and wont come down and when it is down at like 1500 it is really rough and doesnt sound strong at all

Comment

Clean out your pilot jets.

Comment

So, you had MIKUNI 112.5 main jets. Did you have MIKUNI needles or the DJ ones?

Comment

i have new pilot jets in it so i know those are clean. And i had the mikuni needles in

Comment

Not if you have sediment in your gas tank they aren't clean. Check that.

Comment

no i dont think thats the problem. the gas tank is all clean. i am thinking that it may be possible that one or two cylinders arent pulling right because of the variations in idle and how it will go up and drop down at random but im not sure what would be causing that

Comment

Working...
                              X