No announcement yet.
X

my 96 street fighter project....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok well yesterday my D&D came in... needs a little TLC but it should sound great and look sweet when I get it cleaned up. Does anyone know if the headers and midpipe are stainless or not? I will get some pics up tonight of the exhaust and such. I hope to have it running by this weekend but I am not sure.... we shall see...

Comment

ok so I don't have any new updates really... I will maybe get some pics up in the next couple of days. We have to get my buddies BMW running before he graduates in 2 weeks, hence why I have not had the time to work on it. Anyways... I am at a bit of a crossroads with it, it has several surface rust spots at various points on the frame that need addressed as well as various components that need repainted etc. Also the PO told me that the clutches might be going bad. SO what I am trying to decide is whether or not to go ahead and do it right or to just paint it and get it running. I have done plenty of engine's in cars but never a bike. How hard is it to pull the engine on these things? What should I look to replace if I do pull it out? Any other advice? Thanks so much guys!

Comment

Engine is pretty easy to pull, drops right outa the front. Easier in my opinion if you can suspend the front and remove the at least the tire if not the whole fork set up. Also take the exhaust off first. And yes, if I do remeber, the whole D&D setup is stainless... And LOUD! But I like loud personally.

Also I don't think the clutch is too hard to replace.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks SweetLou! So it is not to hard to pull the engine... Anyone have a link to an FSM that I could look at the process? Thanks guys!

Comment

Comment

I like it keep up the good work

Comment

I like it so far. I have a 96 katana 600 as well that I am contemplating a streetfighter build to. I feel bad though because mine is in great shape. I feel bad pulling perfectly fine plastics off. But then, why do people jump out of perfectly good airplanes?

Comment

OK so it has been way to long since i posted here or worked on the bike for that matter.... here is a little something about me though. I don't like winter... i know i know I am in Texas and don't really have anything to complain about. I love being out in the sun though. I finally set aside some time and got the tank somewhat cleaned out and threw some rustoleum semi gloss black on there. It doesn't look great because the tank is not in the best shape... but it works for the time being. I also pulled the carbs and cleaned 1 and 4, one of the PO's rounded off the screws on the bowels of carbs 2 and 3 so I could not get into them. I shot some brake clean down in the jets and the other 2 were pretty clean so they should be all right. I put it back together tonight and poured some gas in it, after a bit of priming it fired up! Loud and stumbly but it ran after 2 years or something! YAY!!!!

Discovered that one of the bowel drain screws was loose and leaking a bit and have a minor vacuum leak to deal with. The other thing is, the frekin choke is messed up, I think it is the cable because even disconnected it wont move. The slide behind the carbs is missing one the plastic clips and doesn't slide very well... That choke design is not wonderful if I do say so myself... I should be able to get some pics up tomorrow! I am super stoked to have it running and its all downhill from here because I have motivation and sun now! lol Thanks for all yall's help so far!

Comment

Ok so another update... I forgot to get pics today.... grrrrr at my memory! Pulled the stock exhaust as it was rotted out and looked like garbage anyways, put the D&D on but could not get the midpipe to fit to the two header pieces fully. They go in but won't quite slide all the way in, which mean the fuller is not mounted, it only needs about 1/2 an inch or so. Plus i forgot the clamps for the midpipe... So needless to say it has to come back off and get fitted properly. With it just sort of on there as best i could i fired it up and it sounds pretty decent. Fixed the fuel leak and the vacuum leak with some free o rings from Oreileys! I pulled the choke cable out and indeed it is frozen and will need replaced, i did get the slide working and lubed and just pull it out manually when i need it for the time being. I put the bike back together enough to actually ride it today as well! Which is awesome but just made me realize how much more I needed to do lol. The clutch may indeed be bad, yet to be seen. I cannot go much more than 1/8 throttle before it acts almost like ignition cut out and then if you roll on it a bit more it will come back and sputter and rev a bit higher. Not sure yet what that is all about, probably in the carbs because it seemed like it was running rich and one or two of the plugs were black. Also I was wearing shorts when just putting around in my parking lot and could feel a bit of fuel sprinkle on my leg when it was sputtering. So I will have to drill the inner carbs out or find a set used and rebuild them or something... Any advice there? Who sells rebuild kits? I think that was it for the day, making progress but not quite there... I did get to ride it though! Woot!

Comment

So gauges... I thought I was going to do the Koso DB-01R.... but I think it may be a bit small or something idk... So i got to researching and found this http://trailtech.net/vapor.html I really like the way it looks in black and they have an addon "dashboard" that gives you a bunch of idiot lights, I was thinking oil, neutral, blinkers, and a low fuel light... So here is the question then... the factory katana setup has a gas gauge not a light iirc so how would you wire the low gas light?

Comment

Ok so weekend update... nto with Seth Myers... but still. I pulled the carbs back off and finally got the stripped screws out of the middle 2 carbs without having to drill! I replaced all the bowel screws with socket head cap screws and cleaned them up good, pulled the jets and made sure they were clean. Put them back on and some new spark plugs and now I have a dead cylinder, its number 3 and it is getting spark, so i think the carb is not getting any fuel. Maybe the needle got stuck again or something strange, but its not getting fuel. I am going to pull them back off tomorrow and investigate I suppose.... Anyways heres some pics of the carbs in progress and i should be able to get some of the bike hopefully tomorrow!

Comment

Ok so I need your opinion oh wise katana gods... This is what it is doing currently.... I have cleaned the carbs good and it idles perfect and starts easy and all that so I am pretty certain it is not in the carbs... plus it sounds like the ignition system... What do you guys think? I pulled both coils and the ignition CPU to test them out... anything else i should test or look into? [ame="http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s204/calebchesh/96%20Suzuki%20Katana%20600/?action=view&current=2012-04-22_15-29-21_576.mp4"]96 Suzuki Katana 600 :: 2012-04-22_15-29-21_576.mp4 video by calebchesh - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid153.ph otobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fs204%2Fcalebchesh%2F96%25 20Suzuki%2520Katana%2520600%2F2012-04-22_15-29-21_576.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid153.pho tobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fs204%2Fcalebchesh%2F96%252 0Suzuki%2520Katana%2520600%2F2012-04-22_15-29-21_576.mp4[/ame]

Comment

Sounds to me like you have a coil failing under load!
                            Or for some reason its not getting enough fuel.

Comment

^^^ yah i was thinking the coil failing under load theory as well.... unless somehow my petcock is not feeding the outer 2 carbs under load or something silly like that... Is there a way to tell if the coil is failing under load?

Comment

Originally posted by calebchesh View Post
                                ^^^ yah i was thinking the coil failing under load theory as well.... unless somehow my petcock is not feeding the outer 2 carbs under load or something silly like that... Is there a way to tell if the coil is failing under load?
                                You need to download the manual if you haven't already and it has the value's for the coils, you also need a multimeter of course.
                                If your not sure how to use a meter there are plenty of vids on youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X