Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

1990 600 Kat...swingarm and rear shock questions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 600 Kat...swingarm and rear shock questions.

I was wondering if a 98+ Rear shock (600 or 750) bolts right on to the older 89 600 Swingarm. If not, what is needed? Does a newer 600/750 swingarm bolt right on?

Thanks

Sz

98+ swing arm is not bolt on.

Shock is though.

Comment

As shown in other parts of the forum The post rear swing arm isnt needed to use a post rear wheel...But the Post swing arm can be used if it has some machining work done to it..Arsenic along with others can fill in the exact details of what needs to be done.

Comment

there is very little advantage to using a 98+ swing arm on a pre 98. However Arsenic figured out how to use a 98+ link on a pre 98 swing arm. If you do that you can use adjustable links.

Comment

dude, you guys are talking abot me I feel special. The advantage of a post swing are on a pre is 2 fold.
          1 - with a post rear brake set up, the caliper mounts on the bottom of the rotor, the torque arm is on the bottom of the swing arm so you can use a hugger easily.
          2 - using a post rear suspension set up it's a lot easier to lower the bike, but I've figured out how to use post rear suspension parts on a pre.
          A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

putting a post swing arm on a pre is NOT a bolt on, I can tell you how, but if you don't have a bench grinder don't even try.

Comment

Arsenic, Good post but I have some comments:
            Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
            1 - with a post rear brake set up, the caliper mounts on the bottom of the rotor, the torque arm is on the bottom of the swing arm so you can use a hugger easily.
            Cosmetic only..
            2 - using a post rear suspension set up it's a lot easier to lower the bike, but I've figured out how to use post rear suspension parts on a pre.
            A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
            mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

putting a post swing arm on a pre is NOT a bolt on, I can tell you how, but if you don't have a bench grinder don't even try.
            So while using a 98+ on a pre allows you to use lowering (or raising) links easier it really sounds like using your method to adding the 98+ link to the pre swing arm is easier than fitting the whole 98+ arm. You would also have to fit the 98+ caliper and torque arm.

So I still find is hard to understand why anyone would want to fit a 98+ swing arm? Unless it's just to be different.

Comment

I did it just to add a hugger Plus, while it doesn't matter AT ALL the pre swing arm with the post rear suspension parts, you loose the upper bearing on the links. If you use a 98+ swing arm, the bearing is in the swing arm, so you don't lose it.
              Last edited by arsenic; 02-06-2008, 03:35 AM.

Comment

So if I'm reading that correctly, all I need to do is source the newer shock in terms of parts needed. Dog bones/spacer modifications, etc all use the PRE stuff. So ONLY the shock is needed, correct?

Just want to make sure I have everything right before I go taking it apart and not have the correct part(s).

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Sz

Comment

Just double checking that newer 600 and 750s will fill fit the same on the older pre 97 600s. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    Shock is though.
                    asked and answered :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X