X

new to the forum and bikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the forum and bikes

hello everyone my name is joey I'm 29 I do not own a street bike at the moment but planning on it soon.
    I am still in the process of deciding which bike to get my wife will only allow me one for now and can't get another for a couple years.
    my initial plan was a ninja 250 but I have been told I'm to big and I'll be doing way to much high speed and hill drives where I live every where is 40 and above mostly 60 and 70
    I am 6'2" 260lbs.
    I leaned toward a cbr 600 but was told those are way to powerful then I starting reading about the katana same motor size as far as the 600 but was told there a lot more tame than a cbr
    I have ridden 250 dirt bikes all my life so knowing how to drive is not the problem
    also I will be doing some 2up riding as well so I need the power to do that
    I feel like this would be a good all around bike for a bit of touring,speed,and twisties
    so I thought I would come on here and see some of the pros and cons of the katana 600 98-2004 model I believe are the year models
    any input would be appreciated

Yea when I was buying my bike, I was told you pretty much have to buy larger than a 250, because 250 has to pretty much redline on the highway.

Check craigslist. Lots of good bikes there, and relatively cheap too
    Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

craigs list is where I"m looking I have found a few nice katana not sure which to get newer style or older both nice looking

Comment

Welcome to KR!
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

welcome and good luck in your search.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Welcome!
            Start with the MSF course. It may be two wheels, just like a dirt bike but a lot of the techniques are worlds apart. Besides, it'll make your wife feel better knowing you're thinking about your safety.

As for a bike, take a good look at the 750 Kats. The bigger engine comes equipped with torque, a more comfortable riding position for a big guy and, in case I forgot to mention it, torque.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR and I second the MSF course
              The kat 750 will serve you well if you have right hand control you will be fine

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Originally posted by jsleeper81 View Post
                  hello everyone my name is joey I'm 29 I do not own a street bike at the moment but planning on it soon.
                  I am still in the process of deciding which bike to get my wife will only allow me one for now and can't get another for a couple years.
                  my initial plan was a ninja 250 but I have been told I'm to big and I'll be doing way to much high speed and hill drives where I live every where is 40 and above mostly 60 and 70
                  I am 6'2" 260lbs.
                  I leaned toward a cbr 600 but was told those are way to powerful then I starting reading about the katana same motor size as far as the 600 but was told there a lot more tame than a cbr
                  I have ridden 250 dirt bikes all my life so knowing how to drive is not the problem
                  also I will be doing some 2up riding as well so I need the power to do that
                  I feel like this would be a good all around bike for a bit of touring,speed,and twisties
                  so I thought I would come on here and see some of the pros and cons of the katana 600 98-2004 model I believe are the year models
                  any input would be appreciated
                  Welcome to KR!

The Katana is a good candidate based on your criteria (and mine). I am 6'3" and 230 lbs. and often ride 2-up with the GF who is 140'ish (who really knows right?) Plenty of power and Torque, and comfortable for a SportBike-

You rode MX? SKIP the 250, even if you were a Welterweight I would skip the 250...

CHEERS

Comment

Welcome to KR
                    THE DOC
                    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                    mistake when you make it again.
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                      "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

welcome I'd go with the 750. mines a 2000 750 and I'm 6'2 230 and it is comfy with plenty of smooth power and don't forget the tourqe and you don't have to worry about unexpected wheelies but they are always there when ur ready so hold on
                        sigpic
                        "Horsepower has a tendency to break things, if your not breaking anything your not going fast enough"
                        "The shortest way between two points is a straight line...Whats the fun in that?"

Comment

Welcome to the group! :smy039
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                          Black painted seat and rear trim,
                          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.