X

Correct Tire pressure?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Tire pressure?

I picked up my bike from the PO back in January and noticed that the rear tire was new, Continental Conti Force 160/60/17, and the front tire, Dunlop model 12/70/17 looked worn. However, yesterday while working on the bike I noticed that the front is worn because of what looks to be underpressure in the tire. The outside of the tire is worn but the middle tread is good. A mechanic family member once told me that if you ever take your hands off of the handlebars at a relatively slow speed and the handle bars shake back and forth, then that could be a sign of underpressure in the tire. Then I started thinking that I had been filling the tire to the recommendations under the seat which was not the same size tire as OE.
    So the question is, where do I find the proper pressure size for my tires. Would it be on the side of the tire?
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Tire pressure is on the side of the tires, measured cold.

I'd suggest replacing the tire, matching tires will perform better and is safer.

Tire wear on the outside, but center tread is good could be a sign the PO rode the twisties alot as well.

I always wear out my sides before the center here in Asheville.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I thought about that two Krey but I don't think that is the case with at least the second owner I bought it from. I am looking for the matching Conti Force for the front also. Thanks for the info.
      FROM WORK:
      "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

My Dunlops on previous bikes generally had a choppy wear pattern on the cornering tread. Some of this was fixed with higher pressures but mostly it's the tire design.
        Many of the manufacturers give suggested tire pressures on their websites. Otherwise start at or just under the max pressure on the tire sidewall and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          The MAX pressure is .......
          Different makers may recommend different pressures .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

when i got the kat last mo. it had a dunlop sport-max on the frt. cupped real bad .. got a michelin pilot road to match the back one it pulls you into the corners and sticks like glue

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

I'd suggest replacing the tire, matching tires will perform better and is safer.

Tire wear on the outside, but center tread is good could be a sign the PO rode the twisties alot as well.

I always wear out my sides before the center here in Asheville.

Krey
              Working in the car tire business I get this statement a lot. Now, I know motorcycle tires are a world apart from car tires, but in the car tire business you NEVER go by what the tire pressure is on the TIRE. You always go buy the door plac. The pressure listed on the tire is the Max inflation pressure for the tire. For example, a P215/70R15 tire size will usually have (just a guess) 40 psi max pressure. This is true for all P215/70R15, no matter what brand. Your car however will differ because of a difference in weight. I.E. A camry might say 29psi on the plac, while a ford Fusion might ask for 32psi on the plac. This is because the car companys test the cars and determines the best tire pressure to run the vechicles at for best performace. Thus, with bikes, always run the tire pressure listed on the seat (or under it). With motorcycle tires, overinflating (within reason) does have its benefits, but for long tread life you should run what the plac on the bike says.
              Last edited by paintmann111; 03-21-2009, 01:51 AM.
              2 bikes

'82 GS650G
              '94 Katana 600

Comment

Ah , but AGAIN , different makers like different pressures . For instance , I got a hold of a Pirelli rep , told them the bike , the tire , my weight , and the suggested neighborhood of 35-36f/39-40r . Whereas with Michelin , they might want a 32f/36r . No , don't go by what's on the side . THe underseat info is a GOOD place to start if you're unsure . But if you can get some info from the maker's THEMSELVES , that'd be the best bet .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X