Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

It's not if, it's when, right?-Now with damage pics (no 56k)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not if, it's when, right?-Now with damage pics (no 56k)

I just crashed my bike tonight. I was going around a turn around on the boulevard right in front of my work and i took it too wide and hit the opposite curb. "Luckily" it tossed me over the top onto the grass instead of dropping back down onto the pavement. I know exactly what i did wrong too, becaue when i first got the bike i used to have problems with that same turn-around. Instead of just looking through it, i stared right at the curb coming up at me. Target fixation. One of the third shift guys that was heading into work saw it happen and stopped in the road to help me. We got the bike back up and i cought my breath for a few minutes then i hopped back on and drove the rest of the mile down the road to my house. When i got here I called up a girl I work with that left at the same time i did to tell her about it. I had to share my stupid moment and i knew i could get some sympathy from her cause she dropped her Ninja going around the same corner last year. But all in all, quite the learning experience, my side hurts a little bit from landing on the ground but not as bad as i would have thought. I'm actually suprised at the lack of damage on the Kat, it looked like it was scratched up pretty bad, but i was able to rub some of it right off. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
    - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

-----------------------------------------------------

Bummer dude....glad to hear it's not serious!

Comment

Yeah my bike was dropped last year by the PO. He did it at about 30 in the middle of a road (don't even ask me how) and all that happened was some back rash on the center part of the opening on the fairing and an eaten up engine cover. These things are pretty tough.

Comment

that target fixation will get ya every time. take it as a sign to go find a parking lot and practice going round and round in really tight circles. you will either cure your target fixation, or get dizzy and fall over on the bike.

i am sorry if this sounds harsh, but i kinda like to see the people who are prone to that, do something similar as you did. nothing too serious, but just enough of a spill to make you realize you have a problem to take care of. it is better to learn from something like that and address the problem than it is to fixate on an oncoming car, or a tree, or the bumper of the car in front of you......or any one of a hundred other things that can get you dead or seriously injured during a panic situation. just knowing you do it and have to stop is not enough. you have to condition yourself not to do it. finding a good open space where you can do some tight 360's and figure 8's while keeping your head up is a good way to start.

and I am glad you didn't get hurt.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
          i am sorry if this sounds harsh, but i kinda like to see the people who are prone to that, do something similar as you did. nothing too serious, but just enough of a spill to make you realize you have a problem to take care of.
          Not harsh at all, in fact I totally agree. I know there are alot of people that just won't learn what they are doing wrong until they see the consequences. I never thought that was the type of person I was, but this sure has lit a fire under me to take your advise and try to fix my riding deficiencieis. We learn from our mistakes right?

Looks like there aren't going to be any pics just yet either, I was just a little sore last night, but this morning I can hardly walk. I am waiting for my brother to come over to take me to the hospital.
          - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

Glad you're ok, and you weren't stranded there.

Was there gear involved in this incident??

'89 Toyota Supra Targa N/A
            '90 Supra Turbo- mods in profile
            '96 Kat 750-mods in profile--SOLD!!
            '96 Honda CBR900rr -- I go outside and hump it at night.
            '02 Honda CBR954rr -- Red, 'cause it's faster!

Comment

I wonder if there is surveilance video...could win you $10,000 on America's funniest videos

Comment

Glad to hear you are OK. If there is an ERC course in your area you might want to consider taking it. I've taken it three times over the past 6 years and I always find it helpful. Sometimes I get into bad habits I don't realize until they're pointed out to me for a weekend...

Hope you heal up quickly. Sounds like you'll have the Kat back on the road in no time - might just have some battle scars
                ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by Najus
                  I wonder if there is surveilance video...could win you $10,000 on America's funniest videos
                  "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

You aren't the first person to target fixate and you won't be last. Unfortunately it just happens sometimes but the key is to learn from it.

Consider the MSF course, ERC for sure. Glad you're ok and remember. Practice Practice Practice and force yourself to look through those turns.

Comment

Yeah , at least you KNOW what happened . I did the same thing 3 years ago . I STILL catch myself doing it once in a while . Tough habit to break .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

glad you weren't hurt worse, take care

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Glad your ok dude...and the Kat as well..that target fix will get you everytime.

Comment

pics as promissed.

- Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

could be alot worse man... now it has "character".
                              I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Working...
                              X