X

Removing Decals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Decals

I am going to attempt to remove all decals off my Kat so my buddy can airbrush on some flames. Any tips on removing the factory applied graphics. I tried to remove the "750" and was left with the sticker residue. Haven't found a solvent that can remove it yet. Any suggesstions?

Haven't tried it on paint but for computer parts, specifically the processor, Goo-Gone works wonders. Takes thermal paste off really quick with nothing left behind.
    Counting the pennies everyday until there's enough of em to buy my *new* Katana.

Comment

WD-40 works too.
      Living truly is truly living

Comment

The fairing stickers come off pretty easy using goo-gone,but the 750 stickers on the rear sections are a bitch. I dont know weather its the lack of engine heat or different glue but it took me quite a while and alot of beer...I actually used a non abrasive bug and tar remover Camco-RVwww.camco.net but thats for starters. Put that stuff on and let it sit for a min or two then rub it in until its gone.Then I used a degreaser called Purple Power. I sprayed this shit on there and rubbed each area until the friction was burning hot,hint use rubber gloves..Then the glue started to rubbleize and fall off. The trick is to rub the area with moderate pressure until it gets so hot you can barely stand it.No joke thats what I had to do. For the fairing stickers I used a normal NAPA brand automotive adhesive remover. Good luck bro its alot of work but in the end it cleans up nice..

Comment

You just need to use a hair dryer to heat it up... then remove the decal... Use Goo Gone to rub the adhesive off... Thats what we all do.... 8)
          2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
          Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
          "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
          Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
          Veteran of the United States Air Force.
          "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Originally posted by JaxKat
            You just need to use a hair dryer to heat it up... then remove the decal... Use Goo Gone to rub the adhesive off... Thats what we all do.... 8)
            +1

Comment

i just finished taking my decals off last week. the front decals came off easily without any heat or adhesive remover.

the rear decals were a nightmare! i heated up the rear decals with a hair dryer, but it really didn't help. then i used goof-off to remove the residue and it took alot of persistence and patience.

unfortunately, i got frustrated and resorted to vigorously rubbing the adhesive off with my thumb using the goof-off and some of the paint came off!

so be careful!
              One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

You just need to use a hair dryer to heat it up... then remove the decal... Use Goo Gone to rub the adhesive off... Thats what we all do....
                Same thing I did.

Comment

I noticed the dudes who used a hairdryer had newer models. Mine is a 93 so the f&&kin things were on there pretty good. Man the 750 logos and striping were a nightmare...

Comment

Sorry JaxKat dudett...

Comment

Seems like you're only dealing with the residue, so use Goo Gone (not Goof Off). Goo Gone does a fine job as most have indicated, but I noticed one post mentioning Goof Off.

Goo Gone is the best choice for the residue removal and you can find it at most home improvement stores.
                      ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
                        Sorry JaxKat dudett...
                        sorry JaxKat saw the chick and figured..

Comment

Sorry JaxKat dudett...
                          sorry JaxKat saw the chick and figured..
                          That's allright slayergsxf1... My WIFE says if I'm going to be on this forum... It is going to be well known by everyone that I am married and that it is her Kat as well... I just drive her... hahaha... Not...
                          2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                          Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                          "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                          Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                          Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                          "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Thanks for the helpful tips. I had no problem with the Katana decals but as others have said the 750 decals are driving me crazy. Goo Gone helped some so I'll keep at.

Again thanks for the help, off to buy another 12pk of beer for the left side decals.

Comment

Try the degreaser Puple power its cheap and works well with a case of beer!

Comment

Working...
                              X