X

turbo katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo katana?

has it ever been done? i wonder how a katana 750 engine would take boost? how much power can they hold?

also i wonder what would be done about the carbs. ive never done any carb tuning... its obviously not the same as EFI... would stock carbs support this? im not sure how carbs react to boost instead of vaccum..

i wonder if the stock airbox would hold a respectable 7 lbs of boost without ripping...

retard the timing a few degrees using the same way people advance it...

im sure an oil feed for the turbo would be relatively easy to rig up, return it right to the oil pan... a big *** extra oil cooler would be due for sure...

DISCUSS
    1989 katana 750

try the search function. really, it has been discussed, and if you google for Mr.Turbo, he makes a kit for a pre 98 I believe
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

for the street kits....

pre 98.....
      Boost
      10lbs 185 hp
      20lbs 240 hp
      30lbs 300 + hp

i would imagine this has to be for the 1100....
      THE EMAIL BANDIT
      F4 I stunted out
      Cbr900 (low and stretched)
      MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

Matter of fact, there is a turbo kat 1100 on ebay right now. I'm sure the 750 motor would hold up fine to it. It would hold up better with the cylinder spaced up a little bit to lower the compression: at 10.7:1 (I believe) you'd be limited at how much boost you could run on pump gas. People do use carbs with turbo's, but I believe they have to be modified to work right. (Something about pressurizing the fuel bowls, I think) But if it was my project, being that the megasquirt project of a member on here has been largely worked out, I think I'd go the fuel-injection route instead. I understand the $:HP ratio wouldn't be as strong, but it would be a fun project anyway, and would simplify the tuning.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

or it would be sick as fuq to go custom single throttle body and 4 injectors... use the ecu from a turbo 4 banger car and rom tune it to all hell on a dyno.

yea spacing the head up with maybe a 2nd headgasket would be good, but i would probly prefer just running low boost.

anyway. theres no way i would really go efi on the katana. way too in depth for me right now lol

would i go boost. probly not. and if i did, i would try to make it work with carbs.

still interesting to discuss
          Last edited by frosti108; 07-24-2008, 01:53 AM.
          1989 katana 750

Comment

If you are going to spend the money and time to modify the crap out of a Kat to gain performance, you are so far better off to start with a SS bike. Like turning a Buick into a quarter mile car... cool and fast, but never the coolest or the fastest.
            sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

^ i agree that it would be starting from a disadvantage, performance wise

but if i did this it would be more of a ****s and giggles type of deal. basically bring the bike over my buddies house and get drunk ....and go to town with the welder lol
              i think an oem nissan t25 would work nicely, no? use a stock side mount intercooler...

i would def have to do some research on boosted carbs though before anything

it would be so badass haha

can anyine tell me the stock hp and ft/lbs on a stock 750 pre? or 1/4 times?
              Last edited by frosti108; 07-24-2008, 02:08 AM.
              1989 katana 750

Comment

hp/torque = not a lot
                1/4 time = slow

Comment

Originally posted by baddkat View Post
                  If you are going to spend the money and time to modify the crap out of a Kat to gain performance, you are so far better off to start with a SS bike. Like turning a Buick into a quarter mile car... cool and fast, but never the coolest or the fastest.
                  Here we go.... hahaha.

I think that's a little off. Now, most here will agree that if you are trying to modify your Kat to turn record times at Nürburgring then you are probably wasting your time. That said, if you are after straight-line speed, then this is a great platform.

And there is nothing wrong with making a Buick into a drag car..... They actually made some pretty quick little rides in the 60's, and the Grand National in the 80's.

Originally posted by frosti108 View Post
                  can anyine tell me the stock hp and ft/lbs on a stock 750 pre? or 1/4 times?
                  Never dyno'd, but my pre 750 with a V&H exhaust and -1 front sprocket did 11.3 @ ~120mph. Online hp calculators say it should have had roughly 80hp.
                  Last edited by loudnlow7484; 07-24-2008, 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                    Never dyno'd, but my pre 750 with a V&H exhaust and -1 front sprocket did 11.3 @ ~120mph. Online hp calculators say it should have had roughly 80hp.
                    wow thats faster than i expected. looks like a i may need leather pants after all. (maple grove requires leather pants after i think 120, but maybe its 125. under that, all you need is leather jacket and belt)
                    1989 katana 750

Comment

Because everyone knows that if your traveling at 119 and fall off, it doesn't hurt...but 120? Crap, that would just take the skin right off your arse!
                      sigpic

Comment

hahahaha so true
                        1989 katana 750

Comment

the kat's got some front end weight too that prolly wouldn't do to bad at the track.... minus how small a rear tire you can fit...

but yeah the only reason to turbo a kat is to be able to say.... you your gsxr's cool but my KATANA is faster....
                          THE EMAIL BANDIT
                          F4 I stunted out
                          Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                          MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

there is no question, it would be cool! but a turbo busa would be cooler, right?! thats all I'm saying. This is coming from a guy that dropped a punched out LT1 from a Vette into a Datsun B210 just for $hits and giggles! not very cool, but it was funnier than hell and just as fast!!
                            sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Originally posted by baddkat View Post
                              dropped a punched out LT1 from a Vette into a Datsun B210
                              now thats the ****. pics please?

im a datsun nissan feind. i have an s12 200sx, s13 240sx and a d21 hardbody at the moment
                              1989 katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X