No announcement yet.
X

Clutch safety switch...how doe it work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch safety switch...how doe it work?

I was looking at the schemes on Bike Bandit and how does the part #21 in the following scheme work??

I just don't get how it set's off by the schematic..
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

I'm guessing it's a broken circuit. By pulling the clutch in you complete the circuit through the switch.

I'm guessing it's probably a ground too, but not sure.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

part #21 screws to part #10....at least I think that is the part it screws to. when you pull in the clutch, it pushed a little plunger/spring affair. there is a part inside that looks sort of like a mushroom shape. it will be a square peg with a half round head on top with a strip of copper fastened to it. when you pull in the clutch, it slides the mushroom shaped thingy over the contacts on part #21, which will complete the circut so the starter will engage.

If yours is not working, take it apart and clean it. sometimes they get dirty and it doen't make contact as it should. Part #21 is also adjustable to some degree. if you loosen the screws, it can slide back and forth. the front brake has the same set-up, which is also adjustable. you can tell if it is adjusted correctly by applying the front brake and see how much you have to pull the lever before the brake light comes on. you want the brake light to come on before the pads actually start grabbing.

if you take it apart, watch you don't lose any parts cuz there is a small spring inside.

If that switch ever screws up to the point it needs to be replaced, it can leave you stranded, because the bike won't start. In an emergency, cut the two wires going to it and splice them together. This will allow you to use your bike until you get a new one. however, you have to be careful because the bike will start in gear without pulling in the clutch, if your sidestand is up.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks for the info...I'm just trying to figure it out because I'm trying to change levers and when I did it didn't work but when I switched back it worked so just trying to understand how the switch works...thank you!!
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

you can by pass this. I know you didnt ask if you could but if you un plug the two wires from the clutch that are under the tank you can just plug the two that connect to those together and you wont have to pull in your clutch every time. Some times its nice to not have to.
          HILLBILLY DELUXE!!.........SLICK PICK UP TRUCKS.....LIVIN IT UP IN A SMALL TOWN....yep thats me

Comment

this is true.....they can be looped. if you are stuck somewhere, you would have to be able to remove the tank to loop it.

just be careful because it can start in gear, and you could end up dumping the bike if you are not expecting it.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

however, you have to be careful because the bike will start in gear without pulling in the clutch, if your sidestand is up.
              Much like my Buell, except it doesn't care where the kickstand is...

On my project Katana, I just installed the clutch perch and lever assy from a '99 R1. Everything hooks-up perfectly, though you need to cut the switch wires and crimp spade connectors to them. Basically, I did this because some joker ruined the old part by filing away at the stock perch to put some bastardized lever on the bike that didn't work properly. Luckily, I had the R1 part in "inventory" and it fit! Aside from the fact that it has the more traditional style external plunger switch, it also has a cool aluminum click-adjusting barrel nut for cable tension.
              '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid
                Much like my Buell, except it doesn't care where the kickstand is...
                It never cares where the kickstand is, the kickstand is equipped with a breaker-switch (normally closed) which will break the complete engine-powercircuit , once it's engaged (kickstand out) it acts just the same as the killswitch.
                The clutchswitch is a maker-switch (normally open) which will allow the startcircuit powering the starterengine once its engaged.

Comment

Working...
                X