No announcement yet.
X

shinko tires 011 verge review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final update on my rear Verge, as it will be coming off this evening. I have a few miles left in it, but I'm putting a few miles on this weekend, and I can't see it as a possibility that they will make it through.

3700 miles on them, probably couldn't have gotten more if I didn't ride like... well... ME.
    Reasonable grip in the dry. Corner reasonably well. Fairly agressive/pointy profile, really want to fall into corners. Even when they get proper hot, they never really feel sticky, although they offer up reasonable grip.

They are a little more pressure sensitive than I am used to, and they seem to lose more pressure over time than I am used to. Last trip to the Gap, on the slab, they were trying to overheat, but on the gap, they were both doing a little sliding before I was expecting it; nothing uncontrollable, but still definitely loosing grip. I dropped pressures by three pounds front and rear to be able to get some heat in them, and it certainly helped with grip, but then I could feel some softness in the carcass.

The wet, um they leave something to be desired. No major threat of hydroplaning, but they did start to get loose in the rain as speeds got ultra-legal (even for Utah). They did however threaten to lose grip every time anything even vaguely slippery appeared in the road.

Wear, surprisingly good. Faster than I would have liked, but still pretty even considering the type of mileage I put on them, and the fact that they are single compound tires. They kept threatening to flat spot, and they did, a little bit, but never enough to really feel in the handling. Of the 3700 miles, I'd say it was about a 60/40 split between slab+commute and good twisties.

Would I put them on a bike to sell? You betcha, wouldn't feel one bit guilty about it.
    Would I put them on my bike? Maybe, but probably not. They aren't horrible tires, they just don't meet with my needs. I'll keep dropping money on PR3s.
    Would I sell them to a friend? Long before I let them get a set of the ContiMotions.

YMMV!
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Thanks for the excellent write-up Joseph!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

No problem.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

For the record, what's your average milage/tire life from the PR3?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

6000 on the PR3, pretty bald, but still reasonable traction.
            6500 on the PR2, some tread left, but it's a bit of a wheeeeee experience.

The PR3 I had on over the winter did last a bit longer, at ~8000miles.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet

Comment

PR3 its really very good in all condictions but price its very expensible
              What do you think about Maxxis?? I've found by USD 200,00 and PR3 its USD 350,00

Comment

shinko ravens

i just got the ravens seem to handle pretty good compared to the sportmaxx that were on there when i got bike those dident last long lol

Comment

Many thanks!

What your experience really shows is that the Shinkos can make a good "get out of trouble" tyre if funds are tight, but given the mileage comparison they are really not a long-term cheaper alternative to the PR3. So in terms of cost per mile, you might as well be on PR3s and enjoy the extra grip and safety as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X