X

Finally ready!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally ready!

Finally finished-Besides a few cosmetics. Hope y'all like.
    96 gsx600f
    2004 Hayabusa rear wheel
    Custom fabricated swing arm
    Custom fabricated full exhaust
    Modified subframe
    Custom made seat
    2002 R1 tail light
    eBay Chinese headlight
    Please comment! Good or bad I want to hear what you think. I know it's not going to be everybody's style. It's my first build. I did all fabrications, milling, welding, painting, mechanical work. Riding it up to Daytona bike week this weekend 3/4/16-3/5/16!
    Last edited by Kustom kat; 03-02-2016, 01:38 PM. Reason: Photo upload issues

Not my style, but damn you did a lot to it. Great attention to detail. Doesn't look like that's your first time (mean that as a compliment)
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'm with him ^^^
      That seat needs better thought, you'll only slip off once..
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks guys. It was ALOT of work. I take that as a great compliment! I know y'all are kind of katana purists around here, and I don't expect everyone to like what I've done. I appreciate the feed back. The seat seems to have been my hardest obstacle to over come. Everyone has a comment about it. With all 60 of them ponies I just am not too worried about skipping off the seat, but if I do-you are right....it will only be once! Haha! Thanks again fellas. Ride on!

Comment

I like...tremendous amount of work...seriously though, I am with Junkaroo...the seat...you may not slip off, but if you hit a puddle you will get a shrunk stripe...right? Otherwise, quite groovy...bravo

Maybe a lip at least?
          Last edited by zuma; 03-02-2016, 10:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

A hugger would fix that issue..may be a mini cowl behind the seat with the tail light integrated in to it with LEDs. Damn, I hate when I design others peoples shit . The frame work is awesome for sure, swing arm is unique but, doesn't look strong enough for harsh roads or bumps.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-02-2016, 10:30 PM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Most interesting to me is the square header and exhaust pipes. Unique to say the least.

Agree with 92xjunker, that swing arm looks like a flexible flyer...in every direction.

Comment

I can't visualize the riding position, but great work though.
                Kyle

Comment

Looks like a lot of work went into that build. Cool looking. Good job.

Comment

I'm curious to know how the exhaust sounds, and what changes square tubing makes in tone. Post up a YouTube video of the motor running?
                    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Here are some pics of the build in progress. Got a new phone half way through so I don't have the swing arm pics on this phone. The swing arm is made of the same 1/8" thick steel square tubing that the subframe is made of. There is absolutely no flex. I certainly didn't save any weight on it either though. It was not made to be an everyday rider...it is more of a sunny day "look at me" bike. It's not super comfortable, but I gotta admit, it handles waaaay better than I thought it would and it really is fun to ride. I'll try to get a picture of me sitting on it so you see the riding position...it is different. Almost chopper-esque. You sit real low and the tank sits high.

I've never done a YouTube video before, but I will try that as well. It's obviously loud with just 1 1/4" thin wall square tubing(I mean-no baffles at all). I doubt anyone will ever WANT to ride with me, but thats good, I've always been more of a lone wolf kind of guy. I think the tone sounds pretty good....with a load on it. Just revving is pretty obnoxious. The guys at work say that it does sound good going down the road.
                      Last edited by Kustom kat; 03-03-2016, 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Another different Kat. I like it. Gotta appreciate the time and effort. Might see ya at Daytona...
                        sigpic

Comment

Wow...the angles on the exhaust would drive me crazy to figure out. Good Job on that. I would also love to hear what it sounds like. One of a kind build...congrats

Comment

My thoughts...

Over all, I think it looks pretty bad ass. Nice work and good implementation of the vision.

Feedback...

Clean up that rear brake by ditching the brake arm. There are many examples of armless caliper mounts that really make that rear sweet. RF900 for example. Not sure the axle size you have specifically... assuming 30-32mm? A simple custom bracket could be machined up and not even be that expensive, but it would really make a difference.

Be carefull on curves... you have no clearance now. I realize your in florida, but even there one shows up every now and then. Since the point of hit will be non giving, it's gonna be pretty catastrophic if you hit at any lean.

You mentioned "daily driver"... I'd suggest you get 2 simple heat deflector plates made and mount them with spacers at each exhaust termination side. You can get sheet metal water jet cut with some awesome designs fairly cheap. It would actually add a bit of style, can easily be designed to fit the vision, and ultimately... save your legs/clothes/boots from some serious burns.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X