Anti-theft device suggestions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-theft device suggestions

Hey all,

I've recently moved, and don't trust my bike by itself in the parking garage at my new apartment complex.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some anti-theft devices? I'm not really sure what's available...

I basically have one parking spot and the Kat will be behind my car... I don't know that theres anything much to secure the bike to ?

- Brandon

check out the zoombak thread here and see if thats somthing your interested in

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

yeah the zoombak woudl probably be the best way to get back your bike.

However to stop thieves I would put a cheaper alarm on it like a gorilla alarm. Mine was 140 with a 2 way pager. Someone tries to start or move my bike and the alarm goes off. Sometimes an audible alarm is enough to stop a thief....
      I am a Penn State fanatic.
      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

get a heavy duty chain and lock get a alarm with pager and lots of praying
        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

zoombak had some drawbacks. if he is lower floor or it is a underground parking garage...sol.

i suggest....

remington 870.

ok, but seriously. there HAS to be some unused spots in a parking garage. Find some, and see if the parking garage will allow you to park it there. Maybe ask to put a large chain around the pilar of the garage, then attach bike to that. If not, ask to put a couple hooks in the ground on the ground level. my solution at my next place...wheel chock bolted to the ground, u-lock through front wheel and chock.

a parking garage at an apartment complex...they might have some security in place already as they have big assets to protect. Or see if you can rally the renters for a keyed access to the garage.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

If it's going to be behind your car, just chain it to your car at night! But you HAVE to remember to unlock it before you drive away. You can also use your car to block it in as tightly as possible, making it much harder to get out. What I saw in Brazil (and have implemented on my own bike) is just a simple padlock on your brake disc. It won't stop anybody that REALLY wants to steal your bike, but it will stop the casual bike thief from joyriding it.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
              zoombak had some drawbacks. if he is lower floor or it is a underground parking garage...sol.
              That is not the case as they also you use the cellphone circuit so you can be in a garage or in a parking structure without direct line of site to a satellite. It is a GPS assisted device.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                That is not the case as they also you use the cellphone circuit so you can be in a garage or in a parking structure without direct line of site to a satellite. It is a GPS assisted device.

Tmod
                Not sensitive enough for indoor use (outdoors it worked quite well)
                T-Mobile network coverage spotty in some areas
                those were the first two cons listed here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...hlight=zoombak

I don't think it is a bad idea, just warning him that he might want to test it extensively before he has to rely on it.

as well as many cell phones don't work in underground or in some buildings nor does gps.

remington still works indoors and outdoors. ha ha
                Last edited by BarMatt80; 07-11-2008, 07:01 PM.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by bvisser View Post
                  I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some anti-theft devices?
                  a pit bull

Comment

I have a Scorpion alarm and its really kick azz.

Do a search on anti-theft on here. This has been discussed many times...
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I am assuming that since you're concerned, you're not in the best neighborhood in town...

First, check out Cyber Poet's motorcycle anchors: www.MotorcycleAnchor.com

Next, take info from CP's site and go talk with your apartment complex management and convince them that it would be good for their business if they installed some of them for tenants' use.
                      Last edited by MMCdude; 07-11-2008, 07:19 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

Maybe you can find a way to put one of these on your bike! maybe in a tailbag.

Compilation of Trunk Monkeys - a Suburban Auto Group Ad
                        2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                        BMC Notorious 918 HT
                        2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Can I get one in a Road Rage Edition?
                          sigpic
                          Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

Wow thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to look into all of them. There are video cameras in the parking garage, but I think I may end up going with an audible alarm or some type of chain. I don't want to spend TOO much money, as the bike itself is worth maybe $2000

Comment

I went down to cycle gear and I found an alarm called the Gorilla. Basically it installs a kill switch and motion sensor to your bike and pages you if someone is messing around on it as well as emits are rather loud annoying sound that let's people know "somebody is ****ing with this dudes bike." So far I've had good success with it. Someone tried to still it in front of the theatre and apparently the guy got called out becuase of the alarm and it's about 100 bucks.
                              Life is a really long ride. Make sure you do it in style.

Comment

Working...
                              X