X

2001 GSXF 600 clutch issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 GSXF 600 clutch issues

Recently got a 2001 katana. Wasnt running and owner said he burnt out the clutch. I got her running, how clutch did turn out to be slipping so i assume it is burned out. Purchased new fibers because the old ones showed obvious signs of being burned,
    EBC Brakes CK3357 Clutch Friction Plate Kit

Thats the plates i purchased off of amazon, says it fits my bike. However, now when i put the plates and fibers in the plate that bolts the springs down on doesnt seem to sit far enough into the basket. It just seems as if there are too many plates and steels,however I counted 8 plates and 7 steels like is in the OEM picture, why isnt my main cover/pressure plate sitting flush. I have tried adjusting the clutch push rod but this isnt right it seems because It pulled fine with the old plates, now it feels like it the push rod is hitting something solid because i've adusted it so far in because the pressure plate is a bit farther out/

Are there groove in the basket (the round part the clutch pac goes into)
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

There are groves/Notches rather in the new plates but none on the old plates. I assumed im suppose to line up all the notches in a row, sense the pack came with no instructions.

Comment

No, not the clutch pax. The round cup on the engine that you put the pac in.. Does the inside surface have wear grooves on it.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

I didnt see any grooves on the inside of the clutch basket, i'm assuming you mean where the very first friction plate sits at. The only thing behind the friction plates are two washer type things which are suppose to be there according to the diagram. I know the clutch pack has 7 fiction discs that are the same and one different. The bigger one goes on last right? So its touch the pressure plates face? I'm going to put the original bad plates in and see if it all lines up correctly just for reference.

Comment

Uses a micron gauge and measure the plates and fibers, compare to the OEM specs.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

FIXED!!
              I had put the number 2 friction plate in the incorrect location.
              FYI to anyone with this issue, the friction plate with the slightly later inner diameter goes in very first when re installing the plates. It should sit over top of the two black rings in the very back of the basket. There's 7 friction clutch plates that are identical and 1 friction plate slight larger inner diameter. Thanks for the help though but I didn't have money from a micron gauge. Haha

Comment

. That's why you lay the parts out before you install, just incase.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

New issue. I have cleaned these pilot jets 15 billion times. Yet when I blip throttle she still hangs around 2.5 to 3k rpms. If I put her in gear and roll a few feet she comes back down to 1-1.5k which is what I want. Is there any kind of hidden vaccune line I'm missing? I have 3 plugs on the vaccume holes and 1 more vaccume tube coming out of the last carb to the gas tank. I may take it apart again this weekend and spritz water or carb cleaner around the boots and plugs and see what I get.

Comment

There's a drain line off the bottom if the airbox that should be capped. It's common for the cap to come off at some point.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Ahhhh, I remember this isn't pluged. I will get to it this weekend and report back.

Comment

Working...
                      X