sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      The SV got killed in favor of the Gladius
      It got killed for a Playstation game?
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I think the big reason why the VFR800 didn't sell very well out here is because of the MSRP of 12,000. With a price like that and not much standard like hard bags and what not its a hard sell. On the other hand used these bikes are a bargain and a great do all bike like the kat and bandit.

I love my 95 VFR and the 04 katana 750 I had, they have been my favorite bikes so far.

Comment

The bike was so versatile as to be milquetoast. It was a quagmire of thoughts regarding what makes a good bike. When you try to be all things to all people, you most often become nothing to most everyone. Also, with the competitiveness of this market, it is hard to sell anything on two wheels - especially in that pricerange.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
              The bike was so versatile as to be milquetoast. It was a quagmire of thoughts regarding what makes a good bike. When you try to be all things to all people, you most often become nothing to most everyone. Also, with the competitiveness of this market, it is hard to sell anything on two wheels - especially in that pricerange.
              Yup. You cant make a do it all bike, you lose focus. Vehicles need a coherent purpose...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

well th new 1200 is just that , but more expensive
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                  well th new 1200 is just that , but more expensive
                  and ugly as hell
                  Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                  Current Bikes:
                  1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                    and ugly as hell
                    And still heavy as hell...

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I sat on one the other day when I picked up some fork oil for the VFR. The looks grew on me, the riding position is like my 4th Gen VFR but 1" higher clip ons, and the bike feels well balanced. The only thing I don't like about the bike is the price and the power limitation in the first 2 gears.

I also think that if you pay that much for a bike you should get a full adjustable suspension front/rear. The front is rebound/ preload only and the back is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemontrym View Post
                        I also think that if you pay that much for a bike you should get a full adjustable suspension front/rear. The front is rebound/ preload only and the back is the same.
                        Thats why you pay for a REAL sportbike.

Comment

If you're comparing the 6th Gen VFR (800cc, V4, VTEC, cranking out abuot 105 hp with more refined ergos and handling than the 5th Gen) against the 7th (1200 cc, V4, 170 hp, and nearly 600 lbs dry), it goes like this... The 5th and 6th Gens are Sport Tourers; while the 7th is a Sport Tourer.

The emphasis is just different between the two generations. Complaints about weight fade at speed. The older generations are more fun to hustle through the twisties; while the newest generation is more substantial on the long hauls.

That being said: One downside to the 7th gen is its range (which strikes me as counter-intuitive for a bike that emphasizes its touring prowess). The tiny tank will only get you about 150 miles down the road. My 5th Gen will clock about 220 miles or so before the last bar on the digital fuel gauge starts flashing. So, plan your travels carefully or be prepared to push 600 lbs of bike plus gear to the next fuel stop.

Yet another problem (that will also leave you scratching your head on a bike meant for touring): the panniers are small... Smaller than the OEM bags for the 6th Gens and certainly smaller than the bags standard for the newer Connies and FJ's.

I tend to agree - the price is ridiculous.

IMO, the primo VFR would be the 6th Gen body and frame surrounding a 5th Gen powerplant. If I stay in this market niche with my next bike, maybe the CrossRunner will be available in the states by then. Otherwise, I'll hunt down a leftover 6th (and for the price of the VFR1200, I can probably get twin 6th Gens).

Bottom line for me: the 7th Gen VFR is a hunk of whiz-bang tech on a less-than-well-thought-out platform.
                          Last edited by VifferJim; 08-29-2011, 09:07 AM.
                          "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                            The VFR800 is still sold new in Oz, along side a new sibling, the VFR800X - a kinda semi naked adventure tourer???

At Honda, motorcycles are a way of life. View the latest range of two and four wheelers packed with legendary quality, innovation and performance.

The VFR800 seems to still be available in the UK too, the X model is called a Crossrunner here

Dusty tracks, long roads, or short commutes – the Honda Adventure motorcycle spirit encompasses it all. Renowned for their versatility and durability, there’s a style and size to suit you.

Comment

Originally posted by jpipinich View Post
                              I've been eyeballing this bike for quite some time and have realized that they have released a new 1200 Interceptor and their website only shows the VFR800 through 2009. Does anyone know if they are going to discontinue the 800?

Also, has anyone rode the 800? Thoughts?
                              I have been riding harley's since i sold my zx7 that i had in college back in 1995. for s0ome reason i have been itching to get another sport bike. i stopped at a local dealer and they had a 2000 vfr for 3500 with 35000 miles on it. it appeared to be in decent shape so i went for it. they delivered it right away and i took it out for a ride. i was very quickly impressed by the bike. it had a decent amount of power though i was so used to riding vtwins that i was shifting at 2k, once i got that under control the bike grew a nice set and began to growl remenicent of an italian bike. the one thing i did notice was that it was only a 5 speed. not that i needed the 6th gear but, it would come in handy on long trips to save on gas a wear on the motor. though i am not an expert rider by any means i do know how to put a bike through its paces and i though the vfr had surprisingly snappy handling for a touring sport bike. the throttle response was ricky tick on time and very liniar if rmps are ridden at 5k or above. the back brake was weak but i think thats something needing a fix. the front brake was great and the bike tracked well even with the brakes being stomped on.

i could go on but all in all, i am really glad i picked this bike as it suits my needs perfectly. it may not be for the hardest core sport bike riders because it is bigger than a try sport bike but i dig the bike .

Comment

2000 VFR800 has 6-speed gear box.

Comment

Working...
                                X