No announcement yet.
X

Did Honda kill the VFR800 Interceptor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Honda kill the VFR800 Interceptor?

I've been eyeballing this bike for quite some time and have realized that they have released a new 1200 Interceptor and their website only shows the VFR800 through 2009. Does anyone know if they are going to discontinue the 800?

Also, has anyone rode the 800? Thoughts?

vfr800 was discontinued. It was the basis for the Magna 750. Same engine with slightly different stroke and power as well as powerband. Everyone I've known with a magna loved it. A cruiser that can suprise crotch rockets.
    sigpic

Comment

Just like Honda killed the VFR750 when it released the VFR800, the VFR800 has been killed with the release of the VFR1200. The Interceptor name has been attached (off and on) to the Honda V-4 powered sports bike/sports-tourer since 1982. (It was the VF750F until 1986 when it became the VFR750. It's been the VFR ever since.) It's an awesome bike although I don't really like what they've done with the styling of the VFR1200.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I love my 06 vfr 800, eats up the miles in the straights and is fun in the twisties.
        Kyle

Comment

I think they did a mistake to discontinue the 800. the 800 and 1200 are two different bikes. the 800 is more nible and looks totally different. I tried the 1200 and it was awesome but there just somthing about the price of ther 1200 that sucks big time and the old vfr still looking interesting.
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

It got replaced with the vfr1200, and honda also came out with the (NT)? 700. its an ugly *** bike, with bags, meant to tour? with. that bike isnt attractive at all
            Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
            Current Bikes:
            1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

The VFR800 is still sold new in Oz, along side a new sibling, the VFR800X - a kinda semi naked adventure tourer???

At Honda, motorcycles are a way of life. View the latest range of two and four wheelers packed with legendary quality, innovation and performance.

I had an NT700 - sold it a week ago. Agreed - not the prettiest thing on 2 wheels but a great touring bike that was unbelievable economical and surprisingly agile. If it had just a few more horses and a sixth gear I would have kept it.

Comment

The Honda NT700 to me is no more than a scooter with bags. imo a 700 with only 5 gears is not a "sport touring" bike. I think honda fell on their face with that bike. As for the new vfr, I prefer the looks and feel of the 800. the new honda line is pretty controversial when it comes down to eye appeal. Some like em, some dont. imo, the new vfr looks aweful, the nt is too "scooterish" the cbr250 looks too much like the vfr, the cbr 1000 isnt the most appealing 1kcc bike out there. idk, honda to me used to have the coolest looking bikes. The only honda i like now is the fury 1300 and i HATE cruisers. But thats the best looking bike honda has built for 2011/2012
                Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                Current Bikes:

Comment

My guess is they are still selling out the global stock of bikes, but the VFR800 is a dead model.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                    The Honda NT700 to me is no more than a scooter with bags. imo a 700 with only 5 gears is not a "sport touring" bike.
                    Yeh - it was never marketed as a "sports touring" bike here, but as a "light tourer". It definitely isn't in the sports tourer league, but as a light tourer (looks aside) it is a good thing - just not for me. For starters, there's nothing for tinkerers like me to play with - just fuel up and ride. No carbs, no chain, no sprockets ... and built in luggage. It should have had the 800 V4 motor, 6 speed box, alloy frame and removeable panniers, plus a different stylist. But, with that massive screen up (and my visor up) it was a great way to "tour" the countyside. Sort of bike I would probably love in about 10 years. Oh - and if it was assembled in Japan instead of Spain there might be fewer quality control issues too - like remembering to grease the head bearings and rear spline at assembly!

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    My guess is they are still selling out the global stock of bikes, but the VFR800 is a dead model.
                    That would be right - dumping the left-overs down under!

I reckon Honda will live to regret that decision - they must reckon the "X" version will satisfy those looking for a mid range sports / adventure tourer??? Why would a manufacturer stop producing what many consider to be "the bike of the century"???
                    Last edited by TRPUT; 08-19-2011, 07:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Model refresh. it may be a great bike on a good platform, but if it isn't selling well enough it's time for something new.

Look at the Bandit 600/1200. Great bikes, never sold well in the US.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Look at the Bandit 600/1200. Great bikes, never sold well in the US.
                        But they sure are nice at the rally.
                        Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Model refresh. it may be a great bike on a good platform, but if it isn't selling well enough it's time for something new.

Look at any naked bikes. Great bikes, never sold well in the US.
                          Fixed.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Not true. Look at the SV650S, are you telling me that never sold well?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              Not true. Look at the SV650S, are you telling me that never sold well?
                              I think suzuki did well with the sv650. great starter bike, like the kat, with the option to put a full fairing on as well.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X