X

Is it worth it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mojoe
    You could end up dumping a grand or more into it before bringing it up to par. You are better to chip in that extra grand up front and get something already up to snuff.
    That is what I am thinking. I am thinking of just waitting to the end of the season and than buy a bike when people are getting rid of them and they are cheaper.

Comment

how long did you let run? how bad was it burning oil? let the bike run for a while and see if it gos away could be a leaky valve guide...

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
        how long did you let run? how bad was it burning oil? let the bike run for a while and see if it gos away could be a leaky valve guide...
        The battery was dead, so i didn't started. He just told me it started burnig oil. I'm think of doing a compression test, if he lets me, but i think i have to take the gas tank off. I have the tester in my garage so that is not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by krzys84
          Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
          The battery was dead, so i didn't started. He just told me it started burnig oil. I'm think of doing a compression test, if he lets me, but i think i have to take the gas tank off. I have the tester in my garage so that is not a problem.

Yep, upper and lower front fairings, tank, and probably the crossmember as well. Be careful with the wires too, if they've been on those plugs for a long time, they'll have corroded, you don't want him trying to get you to buy new plug wires because a couple of the connectors in the boot rip off. Same thing with the plugs, they could be corroded, be VERY careful about stripping the head out.

I would also try to jump the battery with the fairings off, that way you might find the oil leak right then and there.

If the guy won't let you do all this, just follow mojoe's advice and offer him 1000. If he can't prove that the engine is in tip-top shape, assume the worst.

Comment

seriously....unless you are prepared for the worst....and always expect the worse with a bike like you described.....just walk away and do like you said.....wait for a better deal.

too bad you live so far away. I found some deals, that imho, are better than screwing with a bike with a defective engine. there are TONS of kats for sale here. Just on one classified site locally, there are 129 for sale.
            I have 4-5 other sites I haven't even checked.

I came across an older one....a 95. but it has 2 new tires, new battery, fork seals, plugs...and the carbs have been done. only 4800 miles....say he is selling it cuz he has no time to ride. $2500 neg.
            very low mileage....good deal. seems to be in great shape. It just give you an idea that there are better deals out there.

if you are curious, go here.

LesPAC.com, le meilleur site d'annonces classées au Québec pour vendre, acheter ou louer des articles neufs ou usagés de véhicules, ameublement, immobilier, appareils électroniques, informatique et bien plus.

it is a french site, but just choose any city from the pulldown menu (1).

then type katana in section 2 where it says "Contenant les mots" (keyword)

then in numer 3, under "vehicules"......click on "motos"

you should come up with 10+ pages of katanas.....well over 100 of them.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

So, I kind of forgot about this post. Well, i tried doing a compression test on the bike and my tester was a littlle to big so that was no go. But when i pulled the plugs cylinder 1 and 4 were flooded bad with gasoline and oil was mixed in there hard. Before that the engine cranked over maybe not even one stroke and locked. once the plugs were pulled it cranked and sprayed the gasoline out. The guy didnt know that it was going to spray the crap out of it, so it was kind of funny casue he got wet and everythign in his garaged did too haha. Even after I dried the plugs off and pooped them back in, you can see the bike was trying to start but it would not and you can smell the oil out of the exhaust.

So, I tried to get the price down to $1500 but he did want to so i said screw it, just not worht it for me for $2000. It is better just for him to fix it and sell it.

Well, I have been looking for bikes in my area and found a few. Today i am going to look at a 2003 kawasaki ZX-6R. It has cosmetic damage, so i can get it for a really low price. The frame is straght and engine is good, I was told, only has about 5700miles. I still want to ride it and see for my self. From really bad pictures it looked like it needed was a tail light, turn singlas, and paint. I can do all the work my self. Even if the fairigns are cracked i can probablly fix them or buy some new ones cheap on ebay. I just want to ride to make sure it runs and drives straight. If that doesnt happen i wont get it.

Comment

Working...
              X