X

Want to go to a track

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to go to a track

So i was wondering what it takes to get your bike onto the drag track. I dont have to race anyone (i wouldnt mind either) i just wanna get out there and run. i dont know what it takes or what you have to do or how it works. any info would be helpful
    99' Katana
    97' GS500E

Q:Why did they decide to call it the “Harley Owners Group?”
    A:Because the term “Special Ed” was already taken.

All it takes is your money and it gives back a whole lot of fun! It will improve your confidence on the road too.

Just a tip before you go on track : get your gear straight. I wouldnt go on a track without full leather , some really good gloves and a backprotector.

bon voyage !
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

so do they have days that are open that you can just come in or does that depend on the track?
      99' Katana
      97' GS500E

Comment

Originally posted by Holyfighter View Post
        So i was wondering what it takes to get your bike onto the drag track. I dont have to race anyone (i wouldnt mind either) i just wanna get out there and run. i dont know what it takes or what you have to do or how it works. any info would be helpful
        PM Jim (Superbike) or Loudandlow (Rick)....I'm sure they'd be able to fill you in.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Small track (1/8th mile) close to me is going to have a lot of bikes running this coming Sunday. They are only charging $7 to get in and run for the entire afternoon. I might take my 86 Fazer up there and see what it'll do.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
            All it takes is your money and it gives back a whole lot of fun! It will improve your confidence on the road too.

Just a tip before you go on track : get your gear straight. I wouldnt go on a track without full leather , some really good gloves and a backprotector.

bon voyage !
            Think he meant go to a dragstrip Mo.

Best thing to do would be to call the strip you plan to go to and see what they require.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Most dragstrips require at least jeans,boots,a jacket,gloves and a helmet for any rider running slower than 11.00 seconds in the 1/4mile. Quicker than that and they usually want full leathers,either a one piece suit, or 2piece with a 360 zipper.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

Holyfighter from Macomb...I'm not sure where you are from, so do you have a local track you're interested in near by? If so, check and see if they have a website for their requirements. Got to start somewhere, right? Many of us here are willing to help answer your questions.

This might help as well: http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
                Last edited by superbike; 04-10-2012, 10:01 PM. Reason: add a web address

Comment

TIRES and gear
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Obviously the gear and like another said , according to how fast , you may need full leathers.
                    You will also need a kill teather to run.

Comment

ops. sorry
                      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

If you are in Macomb, IL I would seriously check out The Gate in St. Louis. It's a real nice facility. Not too awful far away from there was a track called Mid-America I think? Been a while since I was down that way...actually did a little trek with a few buddies ten or so years ago to go drag racing down in that area...

here's a link i found on a quick google search for the STL area http://www.stldragracing.com/

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

So i found a local drag track and they have open nights every friday starting at the end of april and going all summer. its 25 bucks to get in and you can race till closing at 10 pm. Woot!

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                          If you are in Macomb, IL I would seriously check out The Gate in St. Louis. It's a real nice facility. Not too awful far away from there was a track called Mid-America I think? Been a while since I was down that way...actually did a little trek with a few buddies ten or so years ago to go drag racing down in that area...

here's a link i found on a quick google search for the STL area http://www.stldragracing.com/
                          Awesome thanks!

The track i found is in Cordova IL. cordovadrag.com
                          Last edited by Holyfighter; 04-12-2012, 12:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          99' Katana
                          97' GS500E

Comment

This is the one form of racing I'm not scared of killing myself doing on the Kat.

This comes from someone who used to work for two separate drag racing sanctioning bodies last season.

Drag legality with bikes is something i'm not really familiar with, but the guy I talked to with a drag Harley (before I bought the Kat) had just normal track leathers, same as you or i would buy at the store and rode with those. Of course, being a harley rider... they were black/orange.

I've heard good things about Cordova Dragway. Have fun!
                            Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
                            Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
                            2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                              Most dragstrips require at least jeans,boots,a jacket,gloves and a helmet for any rider running slower than 11.00 seconds in the 1/4mile. Quicker than that and they usually want full leathers,either a one piece suit, or 2piece with a 360 zipper.

Comment

Working...
                              X