Plastidipped 05 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastidipped 05 Katana

This is how I got it.

This is the fist coat of paint. Gloss black, but I ended up not liking it.

This is Plastidip over the gloss.

Typically this would require about 5 cans of Plastidip(at 8 bucks a can) to cover the whole motorcycle. Because I already painted it black, however, the Plastidip didn't need to cover up a lighter color meaning less coats were required. I got away with using only two cans. It isn't perfect but I'm pretty happy. Heck of a lot better than before.

Just for kicks, this is my most recent bike before the Katana.

Kind of obvious what my favorite color scheme is.

Comment

Very nice. I've been considering doing this. Let me know how it holds up.

Comment

I like the matte black look
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I am looking into doing this stuff to my wheels. I didn't realize it was good for fairings also.

Do you still sand the fairings before putting plasti dip on it?

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt using TapaTalk
          - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Looks good, just watch out when gassing up, from what I've read spilling gas on plastidip will mess it up.
            Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
              I am looking into doing this stuff to my wheels. I didn't realize it was good for fairings also.

no sanding required, just mask and spray...I posted in another thread that i'd recently just become a believer in this stuff...I've used it on a few trouble areas of black plastic on my car and it has turned out phenominal...and if I want to go back later and redo them 'properly' it peels right off with no hassle.

the only thing in regards to the op's bike that may be a hassle later is if you decide to peel it...I've found that the heavier the coat you have on it, the easier it is to peel later if you so desire. looks good, btw

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                no sanding required, just mask and spray...I posted in another thread that i'd recently just become a believer in this stuff...I've used it on a few trouble areas of black plastic on my car and it has turned out phenominal...and if I want to go back later and redo them 'properly' it peels right off with no hassle.

the only thing in regards to the op's bike that may be a hassle later is if you decide to peel it...I've found that the heavier the coat you have on it, the easier it is to peel later if you so desire. looks good, btw
                Thanks, much appreciated. I was embarrassed to ride it the way it looked when I first bought it. I like it now.

You don't need to sand anything but I did. I wet sanded the gloss paint with 3000 grit before I laid the Plastidip down. It isn't necessary but it gives a smoother finish when you pull all the little tags and fish eyes out. Biggest thing is to make sure the part you are spraying is perfectly clean and dry. I use paint thinner to clean it, then wipe it down with a microfiber cloth before spraying it.

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                Looks good, just watch out when gassing up, from what I've read spilling gas on plastidip will mess it up.
                Its actually supposed to be gas/oil/acid/chemical resistant. Thing is even if it does get screwed up you can just peel it off and do it again. I've never had a durability issue using the stuff. Its pretty darn strong and resilient. The best thing to clean it with is an Armour All protective wipe. It cleans it well and prevents new dust from sticking. Dawn dish soap is also good.

I learned about the stuff back when I was waterproofing ESC's and receivers on robots. It can stand freezing temperatures and remain flexible and also extreme heat without melting or getting soft. I'm going to do a flat white Plastidip pinstripe on it tomorrow.

For what its worth, if you prefer shiny stuff, there is a Plastidip glossifier that works great. Another thing you can do is lay a clear coat over it. It'll protect it a little better.

Comment

Any chance of getting a little step by step post on how you did yours?

- Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Looks good! I'm liking it!

I've used this and liquid electrical tape on a few things for electronics.

I wonder how this stuff would hold up when compared to like bed liners, like rhino lining or the other brands. You can get complete kits for like 50-80$ now to do a whole truck bed. Not sure how many cans of plastic dip costs.
                    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Any chance of getting a little step by step post on how you did yours?

I don't want this to come across rude by any means, ok? But, you are making using plasti-dip a lot harder than it really is...simply remove the fairings, wash them down, dry them good, and start spraying. It really is that simple.

here, check this out for reference, thay also have a ton of youtube vids www.dipyourcar.com

91- it's not near as strong as bedliner stuff, but it's resilient enough for stone chips. and at about $7/can at your local walzmart for black, white, or the glossifier you can do your bike fairly cheap

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                        I don't want this to come across rude by any means, ok? But, you are making using plasti-dip a lot harder than it really is...simply remove the fairings, wash them down, dry them good, and start spraying. It really is that simple.

here, check this out for reference, thay also have a ton of youtube vids www.dipyourcar.com

91- it's not near as strong as bedliner stuff, but it's resilient enough for stone chips. and at about $7/can at your local walzmart for black, white, or the glossifier you can do your bike fairly cheap
                        how many cans would it take at like 15 coats lol?

Comment

for something that crazy i would suggest getting the gallon spray kit from dyc.com

Comment

hahaha fine. maybe like 5 coats then.

Comment

Because my bike had a fresh coat of black I didn't have to lay as many coats down. But changing colors or covering body imperfections will require more. I got 2-3 coats out of 2 cans over the whole bike. Note that you don't want to simply tape and spray the whole thing. Do it right and pull the fairings. It makes it all look better and is easier to clean that way. I let a friend ride it last night and he took it out in the rain, I'll snap pictures of what it looks like dirty, then clean it with Armour All.

Comment

Working...
                              X