X

96 750 Build Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 750 Build Thread

I own a 96 750 and i got it for free. When i got it to my house it was in absolutely horrible condition. It didnt and still doesnt run. Ive been working on it for a few months now and I am making alot of progress.

This is how it looked when i got it to my house.

It wouldnt even go up on the centerstand

So far i have taken the airbox off

along with the carbs, I also bought new screws that were hex wrenches from arcenic.

Lately ive replace the wiring harness, also freed up the engine using Marvels Mystery Oil. I also got it up on the Center stand!!!! which may not seem like that great of a challenge but it took a lot of PB blaster and WD-40. I also bought of tradebit a pre 750 service manual so i have the actual service manual for my bike now. It came in a package so i got 4 PDF manuals the others are a 98-02 gsx 600 or 750 manual and the other 2 are the ones tmod put. So if you need a manual Email me or Pm.

Also I need to replace the battery because the one i had after i took it out i saw that it was leaking acid all over the place. I am going to check the start button soon to make sure that its actually making a connection because when you turn the bike on all the electrical will work but when you press the start switch nothing happens at all.

I am dieing to get this thing running, I havn't been able to get much new pictures lately as ive been busy with finishing up school and helping my friend finish his car, so the work on my kat has kinda been a little free time thing. But Im hoping i can get it started sometime next week. If thats the case then the real fun begins with mods and maybe an Engine swap.
    "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    - Michael Jordan-

My Build: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...02#post2085502

Looks like a fun project, i've got 3 kats in my garage right now in very similar condition. Good luck with it!
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

nice bike! mine looks exactly the same, im goin for a streetfighter look! tired of taking the fairings on and off bc i have to many problems!

Comment

Originally posted by donny_0920 View Post
        nice bike! mine looks exactly the same, im goin for a streetfighter look! tired of taking the fairings on and off bc i have to many problems!
        I am doing the same thing i actually really like how it looks with no fairings its weird but i am definitely going to play around with it and see what i can get for a look.
        "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
        - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Update: today im just doing a lil clean up work, prepping and hopeing to get it running soon. Once it gets running i plan to put an 08 r1 shock on and either put a r1 or 2010 GSXR tail section fairings on it.
          Im going to sketch what i want the build to look like soon and ill have more pictures hopefully by the end of today!!
          - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Got some new pics!!
            These are from hand cranking the engine to free it up.

This is the bike stripped down to how it looks now.

I am having some trouble getting the float bowl screws out, some of them are stripped. Ive been researching and havnt found much benefitial details about how to get the stripped screws out the easiest way. Im not worried about ruining the screws because i have new ones any easy ways to take out stripped screws?? i would appreciate the help!
            - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Take a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. Grind a slot in the screws, use a flat blade screwdriver to remove them.

At the auto parts store, you might also be able to find some compound to help with that. I can't remember what it's called, but it's basically some fine grit suspended in a fluid, typically mineral oil. Dip the screwdriver tip in it, and then try and get the screws out. It works for me most of the time. I hardly ever have to use it though.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                Take a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. Grind a slot in the screws, use a flat blade screwdriver to remove them.

At the auto parts store, you might also be able to find some compound to help with that. I can't remember what it's called, but it's basically some fine grit suspended in a fluid, typically mineral oil. Dip the screwdriver tip in it, and then try and get the screws out. It works for me most of the time. I hardly ever have to use it though.
                Great thanks ill definitely try that.
                - Michael Jordan-

Comment

It's kind alike this stuff: http://www.slidewright.com/stripped-...pound_svsg.htm

Except it comes in a film canister and not a tube.... or you can get some valve grinding compound. It's basically the same stuff.

Comment

great thanks man i appreciate the help.
                    - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Update the bike is in good shape im going to test the starting motor with a battery charger. The new harness and everything is ready once this test is done im going to start re-assembly!!
                      - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Great news that its coming along nicely!
                        1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
                        2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
                        1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Comment

Originally posted by ITSSLOW View Post
                          Great news that its coming along nicely!
                          Thanks im hoping to start getting it back together by the end of the week.
                          - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Just try not to catch the disease man. I've got an addiction to buying jacked up bikes and trying to fix them up. You never come out ahead money wise. But damn, you can't beat the feeling when you actually get one going well again.

Comment

Originally posted by thenastiestnate View Post
                              Just try not to catch the disease man. I've got an addiction to buying jacked up bikes and trying to fix them up. You never come out ahead money wise. But damn, you can't beat the feeling when you actually get one going well again.
                              So can I tell my wife I caught it from you(unless it spreads like v.d.) so she'll get of my back about it? Already have a garage full of atv's and now the bike and still looking for more.
                              When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Working...
                              X