X

Turbo Katana build (The rebirth)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Katana build (The rebirth)

Ok some of you might had seen my previous thread of the turbo katana build, well to recap that, i sold all my turbo parts to make up for the thousand i was short on buying my buell and buying a house, so the project got put on hold. Almost sold the kat in the summer to a friend, but couldnt bear to get rid of it after riding it only a total of 50miles and a new paint job.....soooooo the B!tch is getting boosted 100% this time.

so being this time im starting from bare scratch and not a bench full of parts. Im gonna focus on this build as a low budget build that anyone one on here can do with basic mechanical knowlege and a few relavant must have tools. (Mig welder-not that fluxcore crap..you need to beable to seal weld, Drill press, counter sinks, lots of drill bits, angle grinder, chop saw)

Also beable to have access to a metal supplier (your local hardware store will have it but its expensive...were keeping the price down here remember...and able to get npt and/or -AN fittings. know how to weld Aluminum is a plus or knowing someone that does.

1. Modifying the petcock.

Get rid of it. it will restrict too much fuel even in prime. This is what i came up with. Being im running the fuel system as a return type. The benefit is a smooth fuel flow without just relying on the spring of your regulator, trust me its more dicking around, but will save you a headache when you gotta tune your carbs.
    I cut a piece of 1"x1" 6061 aluminum square stock and drilled out my bolt pattern, then on center drilled two more holes in the center of the bolt pattern, one of which is only .500" down, which is the return line. The other one is drilled straight through as this is gonna be your feed to the fuel pump. On the side of the piece i drilled .500" on center to where the return was just drilled, making an "L" cavity in the flange.

The return is tapped using a 1/8 npt. as is the feed, the bolt holes are counter sunk to accept a M6 machining screw. The inner hole that meets the gasket side of the tank is stepped up to alow more flow

The return line need to actually go into the tank and sit at the highest point. If your gonna do what im doing then a portion of the tank needs to be cut out to plumb in the hard lines

And when your done it will look like this mounted (this was taken for a referance, as i still need to cut the tank to feed the cooper tube through at a later time)

Oil Feed for turbo:

I took the feed off of the feed lines that go to the valve cover (either side works) you can buy this from Mr. Turbo but why not save $80 and make the adapter yourself, remember the left over 1x1" alum.??? Copy your pattern just like the petcock,

now the top of the flange i made a "T" cavity. counter sunk all holes on face side and lightly counter deburred the back.

Tap the top for an 1/8"NPT

add an NPT to -4AN fitting and mount up

and then connect the other -4AN line to this

obviously the turbo isnt mounted anywhere yet (btw: its a KKK KP31)

-
    Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 10-20-2010, 10:35 PM.

Nice!
    Glad to see this project resurrected!

Thanks for taking the time to document and take pictures of your process.

Comment

Ha! Turbo located in smarts? How much did you pick that up for?

Comment

How are you going to turn off the fuel supply when you have to remove the tank? Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

your running a carb/turbo setup?Yikes that doesnt sound like fun to tune. I would make it fuel injected and let the computer do the hard work.
          wrecked em hell, damn near killed em.

Comment

Originally posted by Angrytoaster View Post
            Ha! Turbo located in smarts? How much did you pick that up for?
            $150 shipped about 2years ago

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
            How are you going to turn off the fuel supply when you have to remove the tank? Ray.
            5/16" inline valve

Originally posted by Waltari
            Wouldn't running a pingel give the same flow?
            sure it would, but low budget is the key, not too many people have funds for a project like this, and cant get a pingel with a fuel return. trying to prove a point that this can all be done at home, with little outside help, within a reasonable budget, and safely run 7-10psi

Originally posted by jbgarretson View Post
            your running a carb/turbo setup?Yikes that doesnt sound like fun to tune. I would make it fuel injected and let the computer do the hard work.
            i dont have the patients to deal with megasquirt, and after steve made the attempt, ill pass.

CV carbs are so simple to convert to accept boost, (every factory boosted bike ran CV carbs) running a pitot in the intake track then routing it to the bowl vent t's. it pressurizes the bowls, rule of thumb is 3psi n/a of fuel with a 1:1 ratio, at 7psi of boost will in turn give you 10psi of fuel...so instead of FI controlling it, ill let the Malpassi FPR do the work.
            Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 10-21-2010, 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Finally a katana that can do a wheelie lol.

looks like a lot of fun. good luck with the build glad to see its back on track.

Comment

Good information....sounds like ya got a sweet plan. hope it works out, keep us posted.
                wrecked em hell, damn near killed em.

Comment

Originally posted by grebstev View Post
                  Finally a katana that can do a wheelie lol.

looks like a lot of fun. good luck with the build glad to see its back on track.
                  Any Kat can wheelie with ease
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I may be attempting this project next summer with the 1216. Still not enough power ya know? I just dont know if I wanna stick anymore cash into a kan-a-tuna, when a new 3rd gen vmax would rip it apart... (the vmax wll be the bike if I buy a new one however...

Comment

Ive always looked at it like this, yes a katana is an entry level bike, its not bad but its not the best. i keep buying them, and modding them for the awe factor....doing something different is always rewarding, even if the kat wont beat a gsxr1000 or busa, all the other bikes it could possibly beat is all i need, cause you'll always have them saying "Did i really get my @ss handed to me by a f*ckin Kanatuna...wtf"

Adam, i bet if you got ahold of the 1530cc piston kit you'd be scared to ride your kat....

oh i might be doing kettle moraine saturday if you wanna meet out there, so the buell can ride circles around you....lol

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                      yes it can
                      Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 10-22-2010, 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Subscribed!

What about running an electric fuel pump? My 87 virago 1100 had one, I assume for fuel flow issues on the big twin. And that would give you a set baseline psi to work with and guaranteed flow with maybe a low budget used part.

Just an idea...?

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          You mean by revving to 7000rpm and violently droping the clutch?
                          '03 600 Kat
                          '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Originally posted by 4banger View Post
                            You mean by revving to 7000rpm and violently droping the clutch?
                            I don't have to do that to get the front wheel off the ground
                            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                              I don't have to do that to get the front wheel off the ground
                              Then I must be doing something wrong
                              '03 600 Kat
                              '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Working...
                              X