X

Exhaust Leak/Power Loss/Valve Tap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Leak/Power Loss/Valve Tap?

Would an exhaust leak at the header cause a significant power loss and sound like a ticking valve?
    I installed an after market Delkavic exhaust header. When removing the old one there was one header bolt that I could not remove. I was able to grind the head of it to remove the stock header. I was able to slide the new header over the shank and fasten the other bolts. At idle, it sounds good. Above like 4k sounds like a little man with a hammer on the top end or I think it could be the exhaust leak from cylinder 2. When I rode it, there was very little power and it was down right slow. I have to get a new battery today before I can test again.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Million$ View Post
    Would an exhaust leak at the header cause a significant power loss and sound like a ticking valve?
    I installed an after market Delkavic exhaust header. When removing the old one there was one header bolt that I could not remove. I was able to grind the head of it to remove the stock header. I was able to slide the new header over the shank and fasten the other bolts. At idle, it sounds good. Above like 4k sounds like a little man with a hammer on the top end or I think it could be the exhaust leak from cylinder 2. When I rode it, there was very little power and it was down right slow. I have to get a new battery today before I can test again.

Yes, and more.

The loud sound is most likely due to the leak.

The loss in power is most likely due to the larger exhaust pipes decreasing the low end torque, and the lack of adjusting the carbs for the new high flow so the engine does not have the correct a/f mix it needs for optimal performance.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

So, me taking checking my valve clearance was not neccessay? I did. Now I cant seem to get my throttle cables lined up right....

And on another note, a friend of mine just got at 99 600 Kat. He says its been bored over. I rode it. Much, much faster than mine. I thought we couldnt do that to these engines? I guess I need to do some more research...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Million$ View Post
        So, me taking checking my valve clearance was not neccessay? I did. Now I cant seem to get my throttle cables lined up right....

And on another note, a friend of mine just got at 99 600 Kat. He says its been bored over. I rode it. Much, much faster than mine. I thought we couldnt do that to these engines? I guess I need to do some more research...

Checking your valves is NEVER a bad thing.

Do the cables one at a time. Pull cable first. Mount it so the cable has enough free play the throttle can be turned 1/4" outer diam turn before it pulls on the carb plate. Then, mount the return cable, make sure it has the same amount of play. Tighter on either will cause both to bind up and make throttle use problems, and engine rev issues when turning the handle bars.

I don't know of a company that actually sells oversized pistons for the 600. The post kat engines are nikasil coated. That means for the engine to have been actually bored, they would have had to either funded having the cylinders recoated, or purchased custom sleeves to have pressed in. Additionally custom pistons would need to have been made. That would put the $$$ invested in the 10X the purchase price of the bike range when it was new. It's extremely cost prohibitive, not impossible.

Simple put, it can be done but no one in their right mind would do something that expensive and stupid when it's not going to give you a big boost in power comparatively to just swapping engines for a larger CC.

Properly tuned though with a jet kit and the right carb/engine setup, a stock engine will significantly out perform one that is not running right.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey. I gotta get my shit together ASAP!
          sigpic

Comment

Got the header secured. Still got a mean sounding tick. What makes valve noise? Too loose or too tight?
            sigpic

Comment

Loose, too tight and you will not run well as compression will be forced either out the exhaust or threw the carbs. Did you replace the header gaskets?
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
              X