Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Do 98+ Kats use a dust seal on the front wheel bearings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do 98+ Kats use a dust seal on the front wheel bearings?

I'm about to install new wheel bearings in a newly purchased front wheel for my 99 Kat 750. The All Balls kit I ordered came with two wheel bearings and two seals. I don't recall ever seeing a seal on my old wheel....unless they fell out or were never installed by a previous owner. The Clymer manual doesn't mention anything about removing or installing such seals. Does anyone know whether or not to install the supplied seals?

I dont see the need for any seals since the bearings should be sealed bearings.
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Yeah, All Balls kits come with dust seals, they are not used.

Comment

The all balls kits cross over for multiple bikes. It's cheaper to have one kit with seals for those that need and don't need, then it is for them to package, track, and deal with having 2 or more different kits for no seal, 1 seal, 2 seal options.

For the Kat, it's no seal when the spacers on 1 or either side of the wheel have a metal dust seal instead, if a seal is needed. The sprocket carrier needs a seal. That's the only spot I can think of off hand that uses one.

But the wide ring on the spacer in the attached pic takes the place of the seal on the front, as an example...

Krey
        Attached Files
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X