X

Got caught in some hail tonight !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got caught in some hail tonight !

It's been quite awhile since I got caught in a quick downpour like that where hail was involved. Riding home from my parents for dinner I could see it was starting to get alittle dark ahead of me and then it came.... first the tiny stinging rain drops, then the just rained on roads that looked as slippery as ice and then I starting hearing this smack, click, smack, click and I held my hand up and tiny pieces of hail were coming down on me. Fortunately it only lasted for about 6 miles or so and then the rest of the way home was fine..and no damage to the bike or the new pipe; probably becuase I was laying down on the tank trying to coverup as much of the bike as I could ...I dont know how those bikers I passed in jeans/tshirts/brain buckets can deal with it.

We apparantly missed some hail here last week while at the gap. Never a fun time! Glad to hear all is well...
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

man that sucks.glad to hear you made it ok

Comment

That sux. I remember the last time I was in hail. Never a fun deal.
        Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
        6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
        5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

And here I was waiting for Kat-a-tonic to tell us a Hail tail. Doesn't sound like too much fun.
          "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

Comment

Originally posted by steves
            We apparantly missed some hail here last week while at the gap. Never a fun time! Glad to hear all is well...
            Yeah crunchie told me that one day last week while we were away, it hailed for quite awhile, so much that all the streets near our house were covered for awhile. Gotta love summertime Tstorms !

Comment

Just curious... Should you pull over when it hailing, or does it depend on how much/how fast it's coming down? I would think it would be like pea-gravel if it hails too much. There is probably some common sense involved too (as in, do what you feel is right)

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I got caught in a downpour yesterday on the way home but luckily avoided the hail. Glad to hear you made it out ok and the pipe didn't get jacked up.

Comment

hail = not fun, especially penny sized ones and larger.

Long Live the D

Comment

Good night! How big was the hail? Did it hurt? I enjoy riding in a good rain, as long as there isn't much wind, but that just sucks!
                    "MY $6,000 BIKE IS FASTER THAN YOUR $60,000 PORSCHE" stickers on sale now!

http://www.slightlysquidly.com

Comment

Hubby caught some hail coming back from work a while back and said it hurts as hell !!! Fortunatly it didn't last long and by the time he figured where to go hide himself it was over.

Still havn't had that experience and it's one I can die without having and not feel any guilt

the important thing is you and the bike are OK
                      Guylaine
                      Try and keep up now

Comment

Re: Got caught in some hail tonight !

Originally posted by WildKat
                        It's been quite awhile since I got caught in a quick downpour like that where hail was involved. Riding home from my parents for dinner I could see it was starting to get alittle dark ahead of me and then it came.... first the tiny stinging rain drops, then the just rained on roads that looked as slippery as ice and then I starting hearing this smack, click, smack, click and I held my hand up and tiny pieces of hail were coming down on me. Fortunately it only lasted for about 6 miles or so and then the rest of the way home was fine..and no damage to the bike or the new pipe; probably becuase I was laying down on the tank trying to coverup as much of the bike as I could ...I dont know how those bikers I passed in jeans/tshirts/brain buckets can deal with it.

That just happened to me a couple of months ago. Racing a storm home from a picnic my Architectural Program had, and the same thing...... clank, clank, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK !!! That is one of the worst sounds on a bike. I too sprawled out over the tank (this was a week after I got my new-to-me SV) in a desperate attempt to save it. Nickel sized-hail, no bike damage, many red welts left on my body (through my gear)! I'm glad you made it ok Wildkat, it's a sucky situation to find yourself in!

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                          Just curious... Should you pull over when it hailing, or does it depend on how much/how fast it's coming down? I would think it would be like pea-gravel if it hails too much. There is probably some common sense involved too (as in, do what you feel is right)
                          Well in my case it was about quorter size hail and I left an ex girl friends house in it quite ticked off. I was running 100+ and its the grace of god that I didnt wreck. It didnt hurt much cuz of the leather and helmet. And being at a full tuck. That was back in 02. If I wouldnt have been so ticked I wouldnt have ever done that.
                          Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                          6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                          5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
                            hail = not fun, especially penny sized ones and larger.
                            no kidding. I have been caught in every type of weather available to my geographical region from gail force winds, to snow, to hail, to lightning storms that lit the night sky up like daylight. Next to the lightning, the hail is what freaked me out the most. I could litterally hear it crunching under my tires. I pulled over at a gas station to wait it out. It didn't last long, but I swear there were still balls of ice on the road up to 15 minutes after it passed. and when it did hit, it was like someone was whipping pebbles at my visor. I was thinking, "shit....hope my visor holds up". It was a tinted visor at that, and even though it didn't scrap it, it left it's mark. It was full of little spots where it scratched off the coating.

Quite a few years back there was a hail storm around here that dented the crap out of alot of cars. it even chipped some windshields. Now that is something I am glad I didn't get caught in on a bike.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie84
                              Good night! How big was the hail? Did it hurt? I enjoy riding in a good rain, as long as there isn't much wind, but that just sucks!
                              Its was only small hail, maybe the size of nickels and quarters, but yeah it hurt even through my gear...but hell I was more worried about my bike than myself!

Comment

Working...
                              X