X

Looking for some info on a Road in West Virgina

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some info on a Road in West Virgina

Some friends and I have heard that if you take Hwy 16 out of NC that it leads into West Virginia and it has some awesome twisties. Has anyone heard of this and could you please give more info if so. With the dragon so busy we thought we might try this run one weekend.
    sigpic93 Katana
    98+ Rear Wheel 170/60/17 47 tooth Rear Sprocket
    Vance and Hines SS2R Custom Airbrushing

03 Alstare 600
    Salvaged title (lol)

Try asking Jeff over at www.wvsporttouring.com

Comment

VA16 looks pretty curvy coming out of Marion, VA. Not sure why you would want to go all that way to find twisty roads...but have at!

Couple of alternates:

From Morganton, NC go out NC126, NC126 meets back up with US70; take US70 west to Marion and get US221 north; turn left onto NC226 north; continue onto NC226A; NC226A to Little Switzerland -- great little restaurant and bookstore; head south on the Blue Ridge Parkway to NC80 north; you can follow NC80 all the way to Tennessee. Quite curvy and no traffic but locals.

If you are looking for a place to stay in the area:

Sally's Kitchen is on NC80; six miles north of the Blue Ridge Parkway. She has an apartment above her restaurant. Two bedrooms, one bath, full kitchen, satellite TV, on the South Toe River. Rents for $60 a night. Can't beat it and her food's good, too. She's open until 8PM. Lot's of riding in that area, too. With a few of you going in together, that's about the best digs in the region. 828-675-1881

Whatever you do, have fun and be safe.

Comment

we were thinking of hitting the dragon but the Miata's are gonna be there this weekend
        sigpic93 Katana
        98+ Rear Wheel 170/60/17 47 tooth Rear Sprocket
        Vance and Hines SS2R Custom Airbrushing

03 Alstare 600
        Salvaged title (lol)

Comment

yes you can follow hwy 16 into WV. coming out of Marion, VA (15 minutes from my house BTW) you will cross 3 mountains and then come to Hwy 460 in Bluefield,VA take a right on 460 will bring you to Bluefield WV, and to I-77. Me and my riding buddy have made several trips through those mountains and if it will be your first time ride safe, some of the curves will sneek up on you. But it is a worth while ride i think, you will have a blast.

Comment

Can't say I know much about the twisties in WVA, all I know is I81 on the way to the gap is about the most boring highway on the planet. Breeze might be able to shed some light on some great roads in WVA too.

Comment

Originally posted by Breeze
              Try asking Jeff over at www.wvsporttouring.com
              OKAY SINCE YOU WON'T ASK.. LOL

since you are coming this way from NC. i would come through shady valley, tn on rt421 ( www.motorcycleplayground.com ). then take rt133 to damasacus va. then take rt58 drom damascus to rt16 ( this is about 30 miles of good twistes) take rt16 north through marion as soon as you get past hungry mother state park the really tight twisties begin. you will cross three mountains on your way to tazewell, va. stay on rt16 through tazewell all the way through war, wv and to welch, wv. there's a good section just outside of north tazewell, one right around war and two sections before you get to welck. the last section before you get to welch is the best section. there are some more good sections of rt16 farther north and there's moer goood roads in tazewell / wytheville area http://www.wvsporttouring.com/videos.htm
              let me know when you are coming up and i will show you around. theres a bunch of great riding around southern wv and western va..

jeffro
              Attached Files
              www.wvsportouring.com

Comment

Originally posted by 93Kat
                yes you can follow hwy 16 into WV. coming out of Marion, VA (15 minutes from my house BTW) you will cross 3 mountains and then come to Hwy 460 in Bluefield,VA take a right on 460 will bring you to Bluefield WV, and to I-77. Me and my riding buddy have made several trips through those mountains and if it will be your first time ride safe, some of the curves will sneek up on you. But it is a worth while ride i think, you will have a blast.
                rt52 and rt42 just north of 93Kat have some good sweepers and a few tight twisties. burkes garden is another must see while you are in that area and it has a fun little road going in and out..

93Kay, you need to hook up with us sometime. we ride down your way at least 1 time a month..

join our forum and you can keep up with our rides.
                www.wvsportouring.com

Comment

this is an open invite to all members. you are more than welcome to come ride with us anytime...
                  www.wvsportouring.com

Comment

Thanks for the invite, I'll check out that forum and try to meet up with you guys sometime.

Comment

If 16 is the one that goes from marion-tazewell va over the 3 mountains...then yea. its pretty twisty just gotta mind the critters. too cool. find a random fred on the net about my hometown.

burkes garden is good, if you keep going past the burkes garden turn and head into grapefield and down wolfcreek....thats another good ride.

er look. around here, just turn off of the roads with more than 2 lanes. they'll keep you entertained.

Comment

breeze- didn't realize you were in wv also. I think that is 4 or so now in wv. 219 is a good road also in wv, can take it from elkins to bluefield, i have heard that us 35 or something is one of nations best riding, but i don't think it is a twisty road, cruiser i think, never road it, anything in pocahontas or greenbrier is good.

jeff, you aren't the one that works at wards in huntington are you with a fjr1300? or is that someone else?

also route 10 is a good one, 20 is pretty good atleast around buckhannon and throught webster, i think 55 is mentioned on the website breeze posted.

if you all are in the great state of wv let me know we'll go for a ride.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80

jeff, you aren't the one that works at wards in huntington are you with a fjr1300? or is that someone else?

if you all are in the great state of wv let me know we'll go for a ride.
                          nope.. i'm from shady spring and i'm the assistant parts manager at an acura, buick, pontiac, suzuki and gmc truck dealership.

go on www.wvsporttouring.com and we post all our weekend rides. we are also talking about meeting up with some members in your area at quaker steak and lube for bike nite in a couple weeks..

we do have a member in barboursville with an older fj1200 ( troy )
                          www.wvsportouring.com

Comment

Originally posted by roscowgo
                            If 16 is the one that goes from marion-tazewell va over the 3 mountains...then yea. its pretty twisty just gotta mind the critters. too cool. find a random fred on the net about my hometown.

burkes garden is good, if you keep going past the burkes garden turn and head into grapefield and down wolfcreek....thats another good ride.

er look. around here, just turn off of the roads with more than 2 lanes. they'll keep you entertained.
                            rt61 from tazewell to narrows is full of sweepers and rt42 from rt16 to 460 has some nice sweepers. big walker mtn on rt52 is a good section of road.
                            www.wvsportouring.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nacks93
                              we were thinking of hitting the dragon but the Miata's are gonna be there this weekend
                              haha, yeah some of them are from my miata club
                              I honestly don't think a bike could keep up with a well driven miata
                              Live and Lean.
                              When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                              "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                              Romans 3:23

Comment

Working...
                              X