X

I went down tonight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went down tonight.

So my brother, his friend chris and I went out riding tonight. I was a little wary anyway since Chris just got his license.
    I've ridden with my brother a ton of times, and he has an old cruiser bike so we never really tear up the corners too much. Chris just got his license though and isn't very good on a bike yet.
    Well we decided to cruise to the next town over on what michigan guys consider 'twisties'. We came upto a hard right and a faster left. I was in the lead and when I hit the left, I could feel my bike just jittering and bouncing, tons of big pea gravel. I held the lean and just started to pray. I was damn near out of the corner and I felt the back end kick a little and it dropped off the road, I saved it, BARELY, rode through a low ditch and put it down in the guys yard before I got to the end of the ditch (and cinderblocks)
    I swear, I hadn't even taken a full deep breath and Chris comes blasting through the corner, into the ditch and flips the damn bike. thank god he hit it about 60 ft before I did, I didn't see him at all, just the bike cartwheel, my brother was right behind him and watched him go right through the corner, I guess he didn't even hit the brakes until he was off the road. I ran up and before I could even tell him to stay down he was up and trying to lift up his bike. I don't think the lucky sod even had a scratch on him. His helmet was SCRATCHED up bad.

So here's the damage inventory.

Me - scraped up forearm up until where the jacket I was wearing rode up a little, a hickey on my left hipbone where I must have hit the handlebar when I laid it down.
    Bike - My left smoked turn signal has scrapes... anybody need a right one? and the fairing that was already scraped up from the PO dropping it on asphalt at 30mph has now got some scrapes from dirt in his yard. Other surface scrapes on the rear fairing, but a respray will take care of that.

I feel terrible for chris though. He was meant to be behind my brother. My brother had just waived him before the 2 corners and I had no idea (it was dark out, all I could see were headlights). I feel so responsible because I wan't out to race anybody or endanger him, it's just one of my favorite roads and I sped up for those two thinking my brother would be a cushion between me and Chris. Thank god he's ok.
    I didn't want him to ride his bike at all. I offered to grab the truck, but after my brother took it for a test ride up and back, and Chris not wanting to leave his bike there, we rode it back SLOW. I didn't want to go over 25 miles an hour because of the unknown state of the bikes (his trashed the front fairing, windshield, dented tank, dented exhaust, scraped up engine covers, bent clutch lever. (and I didn't know if I'd screwed up my bike too). And I was just replaying it all over and over.

I'm still pumped with adrenaline and it was probably an hour and a half ago. I'm gonna go wash up some more and stop over at my friends house. I need a beer in a BAD way.

Signed,

No longer feeling invincible.

yeah, wrecking is scary the first few times for sure
    hope you and Chris heal up great

good luck on the bikes
    Live and Lean.
    When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
    Romans 3:23

Comment

That sucks man but glad your alright. I laid mine down for the first time about three weeks ago. That does get the blood flowing for sure.

Comment

I went down for the first time last week, I know how you feel.

All in all, in a sick kind of way, I think these events make you a better over all rider.

Just make sure you gear up and keep riding.
        05 GSX-600
        89 zx750r
        04 Honda TRX-450

Comment

glad your okay, im about 6 weeks out from my first crash so i can feel your pain.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Indeed. I feel worse for the other guy, I'll miss the big bike weekend here, but I wanted to paint my bike anyway. I absolutely believe in my helmet, jacket and gloves though, I looked at the back of the jacket and it's all chaffed up from hitting the ground.

Comment

So why did Chris ride through the turn? It sounds like he target fixated on you and followed you right off.

Comment

Glad you guys are OK!!!
                This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

oh man glad to see that you guys are ok! Hope you guys heal up and hopefully so do your bikes.

Comment

that really sucks, cynic. but seriously, don't sweat it TOO much. the important thing is that you guys came out of it uninjured. Just tell yourself that it was the gravel to blame, and not you. It can happen to anyone.
                    the only thing I can suggest, from what you wrote, is try to stay more towards the center of the road in the curves. you had to already be close to the edge if your tire dropped off. staying more in the center will leave you more room to respond to situations like that.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Lecture time:

You self admittedly led a newbie through what you knew were 'twisties', in the dark, and at speed...

Comment

Originally posted by Flip
                        Lecture time:

You self admittedly led a newbie through what you knew were 'twisties', in the dark, and at speed...
                        and he paid the price. he also explained he thought his brother was there to cushion him. i think he has enough to deal with without getting a lecture from us, don't you think? it's not right to kick a man when he's down.

give him a few days, then lecture him.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Glad to hear...

... that you're ok!
                          Mine was a few months ago- these posts always bring it back fresh
                          Attached Files
                          "Live your own life, for you will die your own death" Roman proverb

Comment

Holy Crap Erik!!!!

Makes me glad I bought a leather jacket instead of the Ballistics Jacket I was looking at originally.

We still need to hook up for a ride sometime, I'm going on the Thursday night ride out West (stoney plain Timmies at 7:30) Would sure like to meed ya.

Cheers,

Meadow
                            "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

Comment

Oh wow erik. mine's not that bad even. How did it look after it was all healed up?

I'll have to take some pics of the bike tonight. I took it right to the powerwash after we followed the other kid home and got all the sand and dirt off of it. It's probably ok to ride right now too, but i'm doing a complete inspection of the forks, brakes, handlebars, controls, etc. before I take it out of the garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X