Tire Pressure went up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steves
    Originally posted by tzortn
    The main reason why your tire pressure went up was because you checked it after riding. As the tire rolls it expands and contracts. This causes internal friction which causes heat build up.

Range is correct in that using a dry gas helps reduce the fluctuations in the tire pressure. If you are using a typical home air compressor you can add a dryer to it to help get the moisture out of the line. Another good thing is to make sure that you drain the condensation from your tank. It helps prevent your tank from corroding and will help keep the air dry.
    How does one remove the air from the air line?
    geez man....with an air remover, of course.

I had one for about 7-8 years. It was called a "mother-in-law". as soon as she opened her mouth, she displace every last bit of air in the room. she was sufforcating. you just need an adapter to fit up her ass and have her open her mouth.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
      The brand of tires makes a difference as well. running 38 in one brand may work great, but in another brand it might not. 38 was ideal with my metzeller on the rear, but the battlax I have on now sucks at 38 and I had to jack it up to 41. at 38 it felt "soft" and felt weird in the turns.
      Thanks Mojoe... this is sort of what I was waiting for as far as responses.. The "wierdness" ... I'm assuming it does the samething at too high of pressure... it was almost like it was washing out, or not turning at all, mostly at low speeds, but I noticed if I was going straight as well (at a faster speed).

It has to be this heatwave as of late, because the tires did the samething yesterday on the way home. It was raining (still high temps though), so it didn't help that feeling at all. I pulled over, and relieved the pressure down to 36/34, and it felt fine. Someone earlier wrote to not touch the air pressure when it's hot... But I'd rather re-fill the air when I get home than to drive with it like that. I'm sure once this heat goes away, it won't do it anymore, or once I get different tires. I'm not so sure I like these Dunlop D205's...

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
        Originally posted by Mojoe
        The brand of tires makes a difference as well. running 38 in one brand may work great, but in another brand it might not. 38 was ideal with my metzeller on the rear, but the battlax I have on now sucks at 38 and I had to jack it up to 41. at 38 it felt "soft" and felt weird in the turns.
        Thanks Mojoe... this is sort of what I was waiting for as far as responses.. The "wierdness" ... I'm assuming it does the samething at too high of pressure... it was almost like it was washing out, or not turning at all, mostly at low speeds, but I noticed if I was going straight as well (at a faster speed).

It has to be this heatwave as of late, because the tires did the samething yesterday on the way home. It was raining (still high temps though), so it didn't help that feeling at all. I pulled over, and relieved the pressure down to 36/34, and it felt fine. Someone earlier wrote to not touch the air pressure when it's hot... But I'd rather re-fill the air when I get home than to drive with it like that. I'm sure once this heat goes away, it won't do it anymore, or once I get different tires. I'm not so sure I like these Dunlop D205's...
        Honestly, I think you have to experiment with them before you judge them (the tires). When I put this new battlax on a few months ago, and when I was riding with katman05, I remember telling him that the tire actually made me nervous. Even the last metzeller which was different than what I usually run had a weird feeling. I was at the point where I actually thought I might have bad swingarm or steering stem bearing because it just felt so "sloshy"....if you know what I mean by that.
        But I have also adjusted my suspension at the previous tire change before the last. I have it maxed out because I would rather have the seat come up and hit my butt when I hit a bump then a spongey feeling.

So in the end, I think you have to play with it and see if you can find a level of pressure you feel comfortable with. I also disagree with anyone when they say you should not adjust your pressure when the tire is heated. The way I look at it, that is when you need to adjust the pressure.
        If you set it when it is cold, it will only change on you once it warms up. If you set it when it is cold, it might feel fine when you just start out riding....then the feeling will change as the pressure rises.

I was ready to sign off on the battlax forever until I figured out that I needed a bit over 40lbs for it to match my weight of 200lbs and the firmness of my suspension. I don't live by the reccommendations on the sticker under the seat. If I ran the 36lbs suzuki says to run, I would shit myself in the turns. I tried, but it is like riding a snake in the curves.

And to be honest once again, I am betting that a good 85-90% of the riders out there are nowhere near to having the optimum pressure in their tires to match their weight and suspension settings. They put in what suzuki tells them to put in, and because it "works" and they have never actually tried tweaking it, they accept is a "good" because they haven't actually experienced it better. make sense?

Comment

Yup, perfect sense... Thanks again. The thing I didn't mention when I made the tire comment was that I tend to drive on roads with tons of patches that make that nice little groove in the front tire want to wander, and give you that pucker feeling. I've put 4500 mile on them this year, and they have been reliable. I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing them soon I've had the air pressure all over the place, and thought I liked them at 38 psi, hence the reason for my questioning them in this past heat wave in the area (in MN, anything over 80 is a heat wave) when they started feeling wierd...

Comment

I never thought to ask if you just put these tires on or not. Did you? has it been ok up until this heatwave you mention? The reason I mention this is that it is possible that it has nothing to do with the tire pressure. if the wheel was put on just a bit out of alignment, it can give you some pretty weird sensations as well. It doesn't take much.
            Just some food for thought.

Comment

Yeah, it's been fine till this heat. And a direct release of the pressure returns the bike to 100% satisfactory instantly... as I said.. Wierd. The tires have been on it since 1 week before I bought it, which was 4500 miles ago. Not that that helps any

Comment

Working...
              X