X

Another Clutch Master Cylinder/ Slave Cylinder Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Clutch Master Cylinder/ Slave Cylinder Issue

The 89 1100 I just picked up is causing me some grief.

It is in great mechanical and aesthetic condition, with the exception of the clutch ( I hope). My friend who owned it for a while said he had some trouble with second gear when up-shifting. On top of that he noticed some fluid leaking near the shifter. That was two years ago.

He also told me that he topped of the the fluid for the clutch last year when he decided to take it for a spin. He said the second gear issue was not noticeable until the fluid leaked out. This took about 10 minutes of riding to occur.

Today, I topped off the fluid in the master cylinder and bled the system. As I was bleeding it, the fluid was pushing out and leaking on to the exhaust (not from the bleeder valve).

I removed the fluid line from the slave cylinder(?) and removed the cover that exposes the front sprocket and push rod. After removing, disassembling and cleaning the slave cylinder,I put it back together. Now, it gets interesting. After trying to bleed the system, I did not feel any resistance when pumping the lever. The fluid level in the master cylinder barely moved after attempting to bleed the system for a good amount of time.

I even tried manually drawing the fluid through the system by attaching a long vinyl tube on the bleeder and sucking. It seems as if I got most of the air out when trying this method, however, the clutch did not engage and there was still no resistance at the clutch lever. I would think that if the slave cylinder was seized, I would still get some resistance at the lever. Now, I am not getting any leaking, but this might be because there is minimal pressure being exerted at the master cylinder.

So, does anyone have any ideas on what to do. I was thinking about taking apart the clutch, but I thought that maybe rebuilding the master cylinder and replacing the slave cylinder would be a good first step before I get into the inner workings of the clutch. Could it be some dirt in the system causing this issue? Also, does anyone know if it is possible to manually engage the push rod without the slave cylinder just to test the clutch's functionality?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sounds to me like your system is toast and in need of a healthy dose of TLC.
    In my experience 2nd gear is the indicator of clutch issues, why is that??

Anyway, I think you have air in the master cylinder now. I would pump the lever while breaking free the fitting at the MC until fluid weeps out.. But you know what? Everything you have described screams "rebuild"! New slave seals, clean it all up, new master seals if you can find them..

Comment

I just picked up a large syringe today and a fresh bottle of DOT 4. I am going to try the reverse fill method and see if i can get all of the air out. I will be happy if there is some pressure and no leaks. If this does not work I might try fitting on a cable clutch.

Hopefully I will not have to rip apart the clutch. I did it on my 750 about six years ago, and I don't want to get too involved. Maybe some fresh oil couldn't hurt either.

With the engine running so well on this bike, it kills me that I can't ride it.

That second gear is funny. I was told that it will stay in gear with no problem when down-shifting and if you really take it easy going up. But if you pop the throttle, it slips out. Ahh, its so great owning a 20 year old bike.

Comment

Comment

Working...
        X