X

98 gsx600f

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 gsx600f

Just got my first bike about 2 months ago need help!
    I've done some research and my bike stock is supposed top out at 130. Guy I got it off of didn't know if any motor work had been done or not. I've personally hit 140 and still had more to go. That being said I wanna know what's been upgraded on the bike already, like gsxr cam swap or head work but don't know how to tell what's been done. I am a mechanic but never work on motorcycles before besides the basic stuff I've done to my bike now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by 99turbokit View Post
    Just got my first bike about 2 months ago need help!
    I've done some research and my bike stock is supposed top out at 130. Guy I got it off of didn't know if any motor work had been done or not. I've personally hit 140 and still had more to go. That being said I wanna know what's been upgraded on the bike already, like gsxr cam swap or head work but don't know how to tell what's been done. I am a mechanic but never work on motorcycles before besides the basic stuff I've done to my bike now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    So first, don't go by the speedo. It's gonna be off by probably by 10+% on a stock setup. That means, if you did top it out at the rated 130mph on a speedo that is off by 10%, it would show you doing 143mph. It could be off by more.

A speedo healer can be used to fix the issue. A GPS can be used if you maintain the speed long enough for the GPS to get a reading. Unfortunately GPS is delayed in speed changes, so it won't give you accurate speeds unless you can hold it for a long enough duration. You could do lower speed runs though to get a closer base line for the healer (30, 60, 90mph).

Ultimately, if you want to know if the bike is modded with out tearing into it, take the bike to a bike shop that has a dyno, and run it there. They will tell you real numbers for power output and other information that will help answer your questions.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
    X