X

My Synopsis of my 1992 750 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Synopsis of my 1992 750 Katana

When I first bought my bike I had a few issues. The (1) first issue was that the bike ran on a high idle from a cold start. (2) The owner had to use starter fluid to get the bike to start. Since I joined this forum I have learned a lot about my bike and I have made some progress. However, the bike is still running high.

So what have I done?
    1) First of all I read over Carbs 101. Thoroughly read over it but did not disassemble much of the carbs. Why? It looked pretty clean because I did not see any rust. However, I did change the O-ring gaskets on the float bowls and changed a cracked float bowl cover.
    2) I got a new air box. The old one must have been cracked previously because there was a covering substance that was spread on top to act as a sealer. Plus there were no clamps to attach to the carb. This would probably lead to a massive vacuum leak. The original air box also was missing screws to keep the air filter in place. The new one that I bought had one. ALSO the air filter is the stock one and NOT a K&N.
    3) The choke cable that originally was on the bike has no tension left, so I got a new one.
    4) I changed my battery. The old one was shot. I had to connect my car battery to just get the bike to kick over a bit. I put a slow charge on the old battery, but it would never hold charge for long.
    5) One of my spark plugs were not firing when A buddy of mine checked out the spark plugs. All four were changed.

What is my problem?
    1) My Kat now starts, but….. it is at a high idle. But at one point it was at a lower idle but would surge and smoke a bit (probably from the shit tone of starter fluid I used.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zptXOD2JOI

2) In the video shown, that was the lowest the idle has ever been. It started up at around 2,000 rpms and stayed consistent. BUT, when I would rev the throttle, the RPMS shot right back to 7,000 (could this mean my throttle cable is sticking?)

My buddy and I are going to be looking over the carbs some more tomorrow. Should I just take apart the carbs again and follow Carbs 102? Or is there another explanation for this?

Carbs 101 is what you want, 102 is for 98+ Kats.

Most likely reasons for running high are vacuum leaks. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Actually cleaning your carbs wouldn't hurt, but being dirty shouldn't cause a high idle like that. It will cause shitty idling and problems from idle - ~3k rpm. That's cause te pilot circuit controls this area and consists of tiny internal passages that you 1) can't really see and 2) clogs fairly easily. Anyways, high idle:

Have you synced the carbs at all? That might be a contributing factor. Also, have you sprayed starter fluid around all connections and hoses? It's the easiest way to find vac leaks. When rpms spike, you've found a leak.
    One common area is the orings between the carb boots and the head. They pancake over time and start losing their ability to form a decent seal.

Your cable could be sticking, but that is something you should be able to visually verify. Do the butterflies snap shut? Also, check where the idle screw is set to - it could be set too high causing the butterflies to never fully close.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I agree with all of the above, from listening to the vid, does it fire on all 4?

Tok

Comment

my reply

I will check to see if it is firing at all 4 tonight. I did get new spark plugs. Maybe he wires are bad.

I did replace one O-ring it was cracked but I will check the durability of the other one as well.

I will spray starter fluid or carb cleaner to see if I have a leak. I could have over looked that.

Anyways I will keep y'all posted!

Comment

Deff gotta clean the pilot circuit s. An make sure its running on all cylinders. I can see the rpm gauge when its running in video. It doesn't look to be surging .. Also check the coilpacks. They ground to the frame I do believe. Also check the left side banks fuel line it lkes to kink underneath the tank..Make sure the connections are good .. Go to an autoparts store an pick if a can of chem-clean an soak each carb for at least an hour. Blow off excess cleaner with brake clean. Put back together an set idles screw 2.5 turns. If you have done all that. It should be god for you
          Last edited by xredneckf150x; 07-11-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X