Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Where do you put the vacuum hose when syncing carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you put the vacuum hose when syncing carbs?

Hey folks,

Been a while. I finally got around to syncing my carbs after syncing my friend's yamaha v-star cruiser. Man that was a simple machine to work on! No wonder he's a mac guy.
    So I'm back on the Unix's of the Motorcycles, my katana. So, here's what's been going on. This is the carb from Arsenic's refurb, it's working great, and the only thing for me is I'm having trouble syncing the beast.

Couple of things. First, I made a manometer with 1/4 inch tubes, 2/4 cycle oil, plywood, with about six feet of tubing to attach to the bike. No problems. I also made a gas bottle out of an old bike water bottle, and a T nipple, to attach both of the gas lines to. I also did a bench sync, real crude, just looking and adjusting the screws while watching the end points of the arcs in the butterfly valves.

I apparently left the vaccuum line that attaches to the petcock off, because I have no idea where to put it.

So, I'm syncing the carbs, and I hit first the left most screw (If you're facing in the bike's direction). It seems to lower the high idle rate. Then I hit the middle one. That also seems to lower the idle rate, by a lot. I'm making progress! Then I hit the right one, and that one's not doing much of anything, and suddenly the bike's idle is fluxing like a mad horse on a static field.

I experimented a bit with the vaccuum hose, and felt the pulsing vaccuum on it, and when I blocked it up, the idle went up, and no matter what I did to the screws, it didn't make it move. It floated around 4000 rpm. I take my finger off, and then it drops down to almost below 1000 rpm before it conks out from being unsustainable.

So, I've done a lot of research, but NO WHERE have I found what to do with the vaccuum hose, the one that attaches to the petcock to the right most side of the carb.

Also, while "attempting" to use the carb sync tool, the vaccuum was so strong, it just sucked up the oil right into the carb. Any suggestions on making this easier to use? I'm using 6 feet of tubing! Per carburetor body! And it's a 1/4 inch internal diameter, I'd think it would have some give, right?

I could sure use some help.
    Last edited by davekat; 07-14-2011, 01:26 PM.

Just plug the petcock vacuum line off. Stick a bolt or something in it.

As for the sync tool, the version I use can't really suck fluid in (2 bottle method) so I don't have an answer for ya on that one.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just plug up the vaccuum line? OK, will give that a shot.

OK!
      That seemed to help a lot, I scotch taped the vaccuum line sealed, and now I can get her to idle at 1500 rpm! But I still can't use my carb sync, in fact, I just did, and it sucked all the oil up into the engine!

Any suggestions?!
      Last edited by davekat; 07-14-2011, 02:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by davekat View Post
        Just plug up the vaccuum line? OK, will give that a shot.

OK!
        That seemed to help a lot, I scotch taped the vaccuum line sealed, and now I can get her to idle at 1500 rpm! But I still can't use my carb sync, in fact, I just did, and it sucked all the oil up into the engine!

Any suggestions?!

convert your tool to this...

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Where can you buy rubber stoppers?

Comment

Have you tried bench syncing them a little closer so that the vacuum levels are close enough not to suck the oil up into one side?
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by davekat View Post
              Where can you buy rubber stoppers?

Lowes has them in the specialty hardware isle (with all the pull out drawers.)

krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
              X