X

Wheel Shield - Part Deux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Shield - Part Deux

The interval came up to lube the chain, so it was time to test the prototype. It was apparent that no one had done it before, and many thought it couldn't be done, so I had to try it...

It worked exactly as I had anticipated it would
    And no animals were harmed during the test :bunny2

I went for 7 mile trip at 50-55 mph and the bike drove perfectly normal. I checked it once midway and again at home and the shield stayed firmly attached.

The first picture is after chainlube and before riding. I had the wheel on the bench to change the tire and took the opportunity to thoroughly clean the wheel and swingarm.
    The second picture is after the ride. Droplets of oil were dispersed along the swingarm and shield. Look through the sprocket and you can see more droplets on the small uncovered area of the hub. Even my trick chrome axle bolt cover had oil on it.
    This all confirms what I suspected earlier - that the Kat wheel at speed has airflow towards the brake rotor. Anything in the area of the rear wheel -road grime, oil etc. can be blown towards the rotor site of the wheel. In addition to a dirty wheel, rear brake performance will gradually decline as the pad and rotor on one side gradually get dirty and of course, oil is the worst thing you can get on a brake.

The last picture is the sticker I'll attach to the shield in case Badfaerie rides by - after all - safety first
    Attached Files

Please stay in Florida

Comment

Originally posted by mektek View Post
      The interval came up to lube the chain, so it was time to test the prototype. It was apparent that no one had done it before, and many thought it couldn't be done, so I had to try it...

It worked exactly as I had anticipated it would
      And no animals were harmed during the test :bunny2

I went for 7 mile trip at 50-55 mph and the bike drove perfectly normal. I checked it once midway and again at home and the shield stayed firmly attached.

The first picture is after chainlube and before riding. I had the wheel on the bench to change the tire and took the opportunity to thoroughly clean the wheel and swingarm.
      The second picture is after the ride. Droplets of oil were dispersed along the swingarm and shield. Look through the sprocket and you can see more droplets on the small uncovered area of the hub. Even my trick chrome axle bolt cover had oil on it.
      This all confirms what I suspected earlier - that the Kat wheel at speed has airflow towards the brake rotor. Anything in the area of the rear wheel -road grime, oil etc. can be blown towards the rotor site of the wheel. In addition to a dirty wheel, rear brake performance will gradually decline as the pad and rotor on one side gradually get dirty and of course, oil is the worst thing you can get on a brake.

The last picture is the sticker I'll attach to the shield in case Badfaerie rides by - after all - safety first
      The only thing you have proven is my initial assessment of you and your idea, both of which are misconceived. As the previous poster said, please, just stay in FL with your kind.
      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Floriduuuuh
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I read that....

This is the only thing that came to mind....

Wait... actually, this is for the admins...

If this was combined with the original thread, and moved to the public forum... I'm betting 100k views and reddit/fark fandom with in 2 days!

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            I read that....

This is the only thing that came to mind....

If this was combined with the original thread, and moved to the public forum... I'm betting 100k views and reddit/fark fandom with in 2 days!

Krey
            +1 ^^^^^

And mektek I think you made a mistake in the title of this thread, it should be "Part DUHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"
            2002 750 Kat
            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
              Don't think for a minute that it hasn't crossed my mind, but if someone would upload his pics to a photobucket or imageshack account the gen. public could still see it in this forum...

mektek, why don't you take your time and energy and make a more wrap-around chain guard instead of this mess you have now. It's not even cut clean enough to stay off the tire...which after enough miles it will eventually cut into.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

That does not look like a good idea.
                Extra life.

Comment

Some people's kids........
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Dude...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thats why you use a product like fluid film that doesn't fling off. Instead of making a temporary fix, first solve the root cause of the problem and use a better product on your chain.

Comment

This just cannot be serious. I mean, the level of purest, triple distilled idiocy is off the scale.

Get that junk off before you kill someone FFS. Then go to the DMV and ask that you get your motorcycle endorsement annulled. Please, for the sake of everyone on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by mektek View Post
                          This all confirms what I suspected earlier - that the Kat wheel with an ill-advised Red Green inspired saw blade blocking one side at speed has airflow towards the brake rotor. Anything in the area of the rear wheel -road grime, oil etc. can be blown towards the rotor site of the wheel. In addition to a dirty wheel, rear brake performance will gradually decline as the pad and rotor on one side gradually get dirty and of course, oil is the worst thing you can get on a brake.
                          Fixed that for you...

Comment

looks good dawg, what materials did you use and how much did they cost. also a DIY step by step would be nice.
                            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Hey mektek i do appologize, I wasn't very sensitive earlier.

But with some thought I think you may have something, take your idea to the showI think it is called "The Dragons Den"(not really sure). I would suggest 1 change in the design. The way you are fastening it now can be improved. You should drill say about 20 holes on the outer edge of each half. Then you could thread some high strenght steel cable, through and around the rim and tire(in a criss cross pattern), and continue then tie it off when you get back to the starting point. In doing said threading it will greatly increase traction of the rear tire.
                              2002 750 Kat
                              2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                              1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                              2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X