X

Chain lube wheel shield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain lube wheel shield

After taking off the rear wheel to change the tire I decided to deal with an annoying problem when I lube the chain. On the first ride chainlube blows all over the rim and even the brake disk so I have to spend an hour of hard work cleaning it up the next day. So I came up with a temporary wheel cover made of two pieces of sheet aluminum that can be wire tied to the rim. Now I'll just remove the cover after the first ride and won't need to waste time and effort degreasing the wheel anymore. I'll paint it silver to it looks better
    Attached Files

Seriously! Attaching sheet metal to the wheel and ride...... deathwish
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Comment

Yeh ...

1) You don't need to unbalance your wheel by strapping potential projectiles to it.

2) What you are in fact doing is directing any excess lube straight to the tyre; I'd prefer most of it to be on the wheel, but that's just me.

3) If it takes you an hour to wipe off excess lube, you're doing it wrong ... it's a 2 minute job.

Comment

UMMMMMM YEAH!!!!!!! I have no idea what to say to this but .

Let me geuss you are about 17-18 and think you came up with an idea to revolutionalize the motorcycle industry?

Seriuosly dude throw that s*&T in the garbage, just don't do it.
          2002 750 Kat
          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

... I use an aerosolized chain wax... I have never had exceess lube fly all over the place...

If the bottle says KY, you are doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                Guess it depends what you are doing.........

..........oh we were talking about chain lubing, nevermind
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Maybe, the problem is how you are cleaning your wheel? And, maybe you are spraying way too much.
                  Extra life.

Comment

remind me to NEVER visit florida. Seriously the dumbest people live there.
                    I am a Penn State fanatic.
                    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

If you are that worried about how your wheel looks, try a different chain lube before you try to behead yourself or innocent bystanders when that thing comes flying off, seriously.

questions, followed by a few comments...

1. What brand chain lube are you using? Some are designed to 'fling', like for use on dirtbikes to keep the dirt from sticking to the chain and ruining it.

2. When do you apply said lube? Optimal time to lube the chain is after a ride, when it is warm, and lubing it on the inside of the links, not the topside so it essentially 'soaks' in.

3. How heavy are you applying the lube? Once around the chain is enough, you don't need it to drip off the thing when you are done.

I simply can't stress enough how bad of an idea you have going on there...
                      Last edited by teddy; 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Switch over to a product called "Fluid Film".......end of all your worries. It lubes, cleans, and doesn't fling.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I use hear oil to lube my chain and even that never flings onto my wheel, key alone my brake rotor on the far side. What are you using and how much of it?
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Everyone is suggesting he is not cleaning is wheels the proper way. It takes me a while to really get them clean also. Can someone please share their method? I just spray the degreeser on it than spray it off, but it still has stuff caked to it that I have to wipe down with a towel to really get clean and down to the wheel.
                            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                              Everyone is suggesting he is not cleaning is wheels the proper way. It takes me a while to really get them clean also. Can someone please share their method? I just spray the degreeser on it than spray it off, but it still has stuff caked to it that I have to wipe down with a towel to really get clean and down to the wheel.
                              No one is saying he's not cleaning his wheel properly, they are saying he's not lubing his chain properly and instead, installing a spinning disk of death to protect his wheel from stray lube.
                              Last edited by Badfaerie; 09-06-2013, 01:37 PM.
                              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X