X

Oversized tires and chicken strips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversized tires and chicken strips

I just noticed last night that the GSXR has a 190/50 on the back instead of a 180/55 (previous owner put them on). I thought this would be a good excuse to show why it's a dumb idea to put the wrong size tire on the rear.

The front tire: 120/70-17 (stock size), about 1/4" chicken strip

The rear tire: 190/55-17 (too big, on a 5.5" wheel), a SOLID 3/4" chicken strip

So what does that mean to you (or really, to me)? Assuming that the tires would wear evenly with the correct size on there, that means that I've got 1/2" of tire on each side that is unused.... so my "190" is effectively more like a ~165 or so. By running a larger tire, I actually have LESS rubber on the road than I would with the proper size. Pretty sweet, huh?
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

So now what you have to do is get a bike that fits the tire... Right?
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
      thats the logical thing to do in a situation like this
      sigpic
      2000 Suzuki 600 Kat - Blue Fury V1.0
      2006 Kawasaki 636 - Blue Fury V2.0
      2011 Dodge Charger RT - Lexi

Comment

No way.... I adore this rattly, primered mess too much!

Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

But..but...MORE TIRE MORE TRACTION MORE NOISE MORE HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!

Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            No way.... I adore this rattly, primered mess too much!

Thats a nice pressure washer I can see why you like it.
            2005 Gsx600f- My baby
            1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
            Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

it'll be alright you just gotta ride harder and lean more.

I keed i keed. Even some of the right size tires have a very steep profile, you have to really push it to get to the very edge.

Comment

but, if i dont have a big fat back tire everyone at bike night will laugh at me, yo!

btw Rick, i was in slamdusky last weekend (stupid move on my part, took the kids to cedar point)...does sandusky have their own little group of "stunna's" now? we were in traffic out by kalahari and a group of tools rode by doing stoppies and wheelies...and they weren't even doing them well...color me unimpressed

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Thats a nice pressure washer I can see why you like it.
                  Pressure washer I thought he was talking bout that kick a$$ golf cart...
                  1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                  1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                  Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckie29 View Post
                    Pressure washer I thought he was talking bout that kick a$$ golf cart...
                    I say put the gsxr mill in the golf cart.. mount up the pressure washer and a tank... that sounds like fun...
                    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

my recent experience had me using a 170/60 conti motion because 160/60 was backordered. had 19mm strips. using 160/60 next had 10mm strips. now i have a 150/70 PR3 and no strips. i'm not a knee dragger. i guess i don't need a fatter tire.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                        I say put the gsxr mill in the golf cart.. mount up the pressure washer and a tank... that sounds like fun...
                        I think we are getting somewhere now.....
                        1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                        1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                        Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBs_miaBPE"]150mph Golf Cart - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Where do ya get tires for a golf cart rated for 150mph? Saw a vid a while back where some dude put a busa motor in a smart car. Hilarious.

Comment

As a relative novice to this riding caper still, and yes, I know tyres flex, but at one level I would prefer to see some chicken strips to prove I haven't exceeded the contact area of the tyre. The standard rear tyre on my Honda had such a flat profile it was easy to wipe out chicken strips with fairly sedate riding. I wasn't confident to push really hard because in the back of my mind I kept thinking I was running on lip, not tread.

A lot must depend on brand / profile / flex??? The original banglops on the post had no strips. The strips on the new 170s are shrinking as I gain confidence on the new rubber - I haven't touched the pegs down yet. However the 150 on the pre has a very steep profile and although I have chamfered the ends of both pegs, it still has strips.

Comment

Working...
                              X