X

Honda VFR 800?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda VFR 800?

I was thinking about my next bike for a while and at the top of my list is the VTECH Honda VFR 800. What I'm getting at is, have any of you guys had any experience with the VFRs? What did you think? Everything I've seen and have watched has pointed towards that the bike is a really good sport tourer with power to spare. So yay or nay guys?
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
    ~Author Unknown

I assume youre speaking of the 6th generation vfr 800 ?

I have several friends who have owned it, its a decent an very reliable bike. The only problem ive heard of so far is the alternator on some bikes.

if you like it buy it. Its probably the most bang for the buck in the sport touring class.
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

They are great bikes, but honda skimped a few places on the stator and grounding of the electrical system. Also the rectifier.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I hope it will be a good bike, there's several nice ones in my area for around $3000
        ~Author Unknown

Comment

When that VTEC kicks in, the power can be a bit abrupt if you are mid corner. I didn't like the VTEC VFR as much as my Y2K model for that reason. Linked brakes were time involving to change fluids..

Comment

The bike I now own after I sold my 02 750 Kat (which was a great bike) is an 06 VTEC VFR. Let me give you my impressions after almost 3 years of ownership.
            If you are going to get one try to get an 06 or later. The regulator/stator issues with the earlier models was addressed with modified components and the VTEC transition was further refined. If you go for a 05 or earlier Honda did a free recall that gives it the electrical mod of the 06+. The VTEC on 05- is supposed to engage a bit earlier in the RPMs (about 6000 or so) but I have never heard anyone complain to the point of it becoming a deal breaker. It is a surprise the first couple of times since it is like a supercharger kicking in but it is also a rush to feel and hear. When you ride one the first couple of times if you anticipate it you will not be surprised and possibly find it to be a rush. Once you get familiar with it you actually look forward to it engaging.
            It is a very comfortable bike with a riding position a bit sportier than a Kat.
            It has a nice power band that benefits greatly from a PowerCommander since like most newer bikes the emission regulations rob it of low end power and the commander lets you get it back.
            The build quality is excellent since it the VFR is one of Honda's showcase bikes.
            Weight is similar to the Kat (500 lbs.) but it is balanced better and so is more agile and nimble. Response is better and twisties are more fun.
            The VFR engine is very reliable and has a unique Ducati like note that is unique. Sounds like a small block 8 cylinder car engine.
            The single sided swingarm not only looks cool but make tire changes a breeze and no wheel alignment issues.
            The linked brakes a great and make the bike very stable when braking. I just changed and bled all my lines recently and honestly it was not anything over the top. It is not difficult, only difference is you do it in a specific sequence.
            Overall a great motorcycle and one of the top sport/tourers out there. Used ones tend to be well cared for since it is not the type of bike purchased by people who abuse bikes and since pricey when new tend not to wind up in the hands of people who cannot afford upkeep. I got my 06 about 3 years ago with 2200 miles for $5,000. Today similar bikes would probably be in the mid 3000s.
            Best advice is test ride one. On a straightaway check out the VTEC engagement since you will be ready for the effect. You will see it is actually fun to blast away.
            Attached Files

Comment

This was all awesome info! I greatly appreciate it, I'm certainly leaning towards the Honda as my next bike!

Originally posted by expvet View Post
              The bike I now own after I sold my 02 750 Kat (which was a great bike) is an 06 VTEC VFR. Let me give you my impressions after almost 3 years of ownership.
              If you are going to get one try to get an 06 or later. The regulator/stator issues with the earlier models was addressed with modified components and the VTEC transition was further refined. If you go for a 05 or earlier Honda did a free recall that gives it the electrical mod of the 06+. The VTEC on 05- is supposed to engage a bit earlier in the RPMs (about 6000 or so) but I have never heard anyone complain to the point of it becoming a deal breaker. It is a surprise the first couple of times since it is like a supercharger kicking in but it is also a rush to feel and hear. When you ride one the first couple of times if you anticipate it you will not be surprised and possibly find it to be a rush. Once you get familiar with it you actually look forward to it engaging.
              It is a very comfortable bike with a riding position a bit sportier than a Kat.
              It has a nice power band that benefits greatly from a PowerCommander since like most newer bikes the emission regulations rob it of low end power and the commander lets you get it back.
              The build quality is excellent since it the VFR is one of Honda's showcase bikes.
              Weight is similar to the Kat (500 lbs.) but it is balanced better and so is more agile and nimble. Response is better and twisties are more fun.
              The VFR engine is very reliable and has a unique Ducati like note that is unique. Sounds like a small block 8 cylinder car engine.
              The single sided swingarm not only looks cool but make tire changes a breeze and no wheel alignment issues.
              The linked brakes a great and make the bike very stable when braking. I just changed and bled all my lines recently and honestly it was not anything over the top. It is not difficult, only difference is you do it in a specific sequence.
              Overall a great motorcycle and one of the top sport/tourers out there. Used ones tend to be well cared for since it is not the type of bike purchased by people who abuse bikes and since pricey when new tend not to wind up in the hands of people who cannot afford upkeep. I got my 06 about 3 years ago with 2200 miles for $5,000. Today similar bikes would probably be in the mid 3000s.
              Best advice is test ride one. On a straightaway check out the VTEC engagement since you will be ready for the effect. You will see it is actually fun to blast away.
              ~Author Unknown

Comment

Expvet summed it up. I grabbed a 06 with 3500 miles down in Virginia in 2009 for $5500, the economy was still tanking and people were getting rid of toys so I got a better than local price and imported it into Canada.

Comfortable, eats up the miles with ease, and is a very smooth ride. I eventually grabbed a full set of hard bags, if your thinking of touring at all consider one that has the bags already, they aren't cheap.

The only thing that takes getting used to is the Vtec kicking in when riding aggressively in tight twisties.
                Kyle

Comment

Yeah, I was searching the local Craigslist and I found multiple VFRs and surprisingly, most did have the hard bags.
                  ~Author Unknown

Comment

+1 on this bike. before I moved over to a bmw 1150rt that had a more upright riding style, the Honda was a fun bike, but one that ultimately didn't fit me.

Comment

Working...
                    X