Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

82 Katana 1100SZ chassis...(Update) I BOUGHT IT!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool, matt. I am sure you will transform that thing into a beautiful machine.

and yes, I do have a spare 1127...or at least I did until I bought my 82. if I do decide to put the V&H engine or the stock 1127 in mine, I will still need one for my 92 project.
    If that is the case, I will have the stock motor from the 82 as a spare.
    hmmm....decisions, decisions.

be warned though, my spare 1127 should be rebuilt. it ran fine when I took it off the road, except it burned some oil. nothing serious....just worn rings. hone the cylinders, add new rings...maybe have the valves resurfaced, and change all the bearing. in other words, a simple overhaul. I am guessing around $400 if you can tear down and re-assemble the motor yourself.

another option is that we split on a bike sort of like we did with the one you picked up on ebay. I can scout out the local ads and find something with an 1127 in it. that 93 1100 kat that sold for $800 CDN would have been a perfect example. you take the motor, I keep the body. it would have been perfect.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
      another option is that we split on a bike sort of like we did with the one you picked up on ebay. I can scout out the local ads and find something with an 1127 in it. that 93 1100 kat that sold for $800 CDN would have been a perfect example. you take the motor, I keep the body. it would have been perfect.
      That sounds like an idea....that reminds me, I think I still have some 88-93 1100 parts laying about. I'll see what I have and send you a care package if theres anything good.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
        That sounds like an idea....that reminds me, I think I still have some 88-93 1100 parts laying about. I'll see what I have and send you a care package if theres anything good.
        actually, I do need a care package. before I got my shop, I had everything stored in a shed. the roof leaked on one of my boxes.....the one with a pile of nuts and bolts it. it also had the spacers and such for my wheels and a few brackets. they all rusted to shit. anything like that would be more than welcome.

Comment

A couple more photos...I'm getting the burgandy and black seat, not the all black one but overall looks pretty good. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Already have the template for the new engine mounts printed out for mounting the B12 motor in it

Comment

look matt....i am tickled pink for you and all, but you gotta give this subject a rest for a couple of days. i am suffering here. mine is 2 hours away and i still gotta go pick it up. it's 3am, and half the reason i can't sleep is cuz i am anxious as hell to have the beast in my shop. i have never been a father, but somehow i feel like an expecting father pacing around in the waiting room...for the moment i can hold my baby....caress it.....hug it and make "goo goo ga goo" sounds.

just kidding...lol.
            but shit....i am so anxious.

Comment

look matt....i am tickled pink for you and all, but you gotta give this subject a rest for a couple of days. i am suffering here. mine is 2 hours away and i still gotta go pick it up. it's 3am, and half the reason i can't sleep is cuz i am anxious as hell to have the beast in my shop. i have never been a father, but somehow i feel like an expecting father pacing around in the waiting room...for the moment i can hold my baby....caress it.....hug it and make "goo goo ga goo" sounds.

just kidding...lol.
              but shiate....i am so anxious.
              hey...mine further out than that...a couple photos is all I have for the moment You'll have to torture me when you get back from the maternity ward

Comment

Fun Lets play torture the canadian

Comment

there is one thing that i think has to go on those kats, tho....and that is the chain guard. i don't like it. it turns me off. it looks like it belongs on a custom.
                  I have a spare one from the gs550 parts bike. I am going to try to see how it fits on the 1100. i just feel it has a better look suited for the bike than the one that is stock.

[img][/img]

Comment

and what is this?? is that some bracing you have planned? speaking of which, I have heard the frame referred to as braced and not. is this a factory thing where some were made with more bracing than others, or mods after the fact. one of the sites i came across mentioned a braced frame being worth more than an unbraced. i just wasn't sure if that was stock or not...and what to look for. what do you know about this?

Comment

and what is this?? is that some bracing you have planned? speaking of which, I have heard the frame referred to as braced and not. is this a factory thing where some were made with more bracing than others, or mods after the fact. one of the sites i came across mentioned a braced frame being worth more than an unbraced. i just wasn't sure if that was stock or not...and what to look for. what do you know about this?
                      The frame did not come braced from the factory and it has been found that under hard acceleration or braking there was a fair mount of flex in the frame (mostly a critique by road racers or drag racers).

The image shown is the formula people have used to stiffen the katana or gs1000/1100 chassis. It helps to minimize flex at the headstock and lateral shifting near the rear pivot/swingarm.

It's pretty much become standard to brace these frame if you're going to make it into a performance machine which is why most of the already braced frame you'll frind for sale are coming from racers.

If you look closely at photos of the Yoshimura Katana 1135R you'll notice a few of the modifications they made were to add a bunch of the frame bracing as shown in the above image and they also shorterned the wheelbase with a shorter swingarm to quicken steering (which also move the upper shock mounting point forward.

I'm mostly likely going to take it into our shop and brace the frame prior to getting it power coated (that oven done yet ) One thing is you need to careful that you don't put plates C to far outboard or they will foul the underside of the tank and tubes F need to be tacked in place with the motor in the frame or you ay accidentally partially block an exhaust port.

Comment

Working...
                      X