X

The Hayabusa Fork Setup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
    here is the difference between a pre 750 stem and a busa stem. Notice the threads stop at same spot?

This is the stem in a katana neck

I did not have the bearing cover in at that time, this was mockup stage
    Another look at the Busa front

This was before doing the gauge change but it gives you a good look at the master cylinder and how the handlebar mount looks

For those with a pre, here is the wiring diag. I made up

The Chrome project post 98 gauge back plate being mocked up to fit the pre

What the gauge cluster looks like completed!

I have to say I really enjoyed this part of the project, seeing it finished and ready to ride!

Now, you asked about spring rates
    Hayabusa spring rate is .850 kg/mm (stock)
    pre and post 750 is .629 kg/mm (stock)

Let me say at this time that if you don't feel your skill level is where you would like it to be to tackle this mod, just let me know. I will build it, put a kit together with instructions etc.

link will only last for 2 days and this is a good deal! you get everything except the front wheel
    the guy withthe eBay auction really scammed me. Just got the lower triple clamp and fork tubes. Nothing else listed in the picture. I just emailed the guy an hopefully I will either be refunded or reimbursed.

Comment

I can't control EBAY! I got scammed on a front wheel during the process also! so now I have a large paper weight! paypal and ebay can take care of that for you!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by RebornKat02 View Post
        the guy withthe eBay auction really scammed me. Just got the lower triple clamp and fork tubes. Nothing else listed in the picture. I just emailed the guy an hopefully I will either be refunded or reimbursed.
        file a claim with paypal... their usually pretty good about scammers

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
        "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

I can't control EBAY! I got scammed on a front wheel during the process also! so now I have a large paper weight! paypal and ebay can take care of that for you!
          I know man. I wasn't blaming you. I filed a claim and am waitig on a verdict. The guy won't respond to anything. A few friends are egging me onto ride down there and curb stomp him into the ground. Honestly, I'm starting to consider it.

Comment

Thazkat, you have anything left over I might be able to use or is it just junk? I need the bearing, upper triple... Etc. Have calipers And wheel from a gixxer 1G. Fits nice. Need rotors too.

Comment

Great write up thanks

Comment

Originally posted by connharrisfamily View Post
                Great write up thanks
                Thank you! Feel free to ask any questions if you are serious about this modification.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Im building up a pre with a 02 gsxr rear swinger and rim, with an 07 gsxr 1000 rear shock, I have the forks and triples off the 07 1k and I would love to run those.. If I remember correctly the diameter for the tubes is 50 upper and 57 lower. Now here's my question, what clamps or stem should I run to be able to mix and match? Is the upper bearing the same size between the gixxer and the busa?

Comment

Originally posted by ckrue689 View Post
                    Im building up a pre with a 02 gsxr rear swinger and rim, with an 07 gsxr 1000 rear shock, I have the forks and triples off the 07 1k and I would love to run those.. If I remember correctly the diameter for the tubes is 50 upper and 57 lower. Now here's my question, what clamps or stem should I run to be able to mix and match? Is the upper bearing the same size between the gixxer and the busa?
                    the upper bearing on a 07 gsxr is 30x55x17 and the pre kat is 25x47x15. I mentioned early in this thread about a link to go to for the bearing needed. I reccomend using the katana lower bearing, it is the same size as the gsxr. use the gsxr triple tree! the forks won't fit in the katana tree. Now please read back for all parts needed. you will need a wheel, rotors, calipers etc from the gsxr for this build.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    Who knows what is next?

Comment

I don't know about the '07 stem length but the '96-'00 1k stem is shorter than the pre-Kat stem, I'd measure your 1k and make sure. Post the dimension and I'll check it against the '99 stem I have. I have a pic of the '99 stem and bottom clamp in a pre-kat frame somewhere.. I'll dig it up and post it, it shows that the upper bearing race on the stem is below the cone that is pressed in the Kat frame.
                      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by ckrue689 View Post
                        I'm mocking up a Hayabusa front end to pre 600 swap. And ThAzKat is correct you'll need the TWF top bearing. Its the one the SV guys use to swap to gsxr forks $45 shipped, kind of expensive but I don't think you'll find it any where else. So yes GSXR and Busa stock top bearings are the same 30x55x17 the convertion bearing from TWF is 30x47x15, so it will fit the katana neck and the Busa/gsxr stem.
                        Richard
                        Last edited by ep87; 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM.
                        96 Suzuki GSX750F
                        89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                        05 Yamaha WR450F
                        05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

I have a question about the speedometer, is a post speedo an easy swap into a pre dash? Keeping in mind that I have purchased the sprocket cover and sensor.

Going to pick up the Busa front end this weekend......
                          1996 Suzuki Katana 750
                          Gixxer 1100 (141.6hp at the wheel)
                          '08 Hayabusa Front End Swap

Comment

Bump....
                            And I also have another question, may seem redundant but whatever. In the first post picture you still have teh bottom race of the Busa on the stem, and I assume that you have to take this off to have it fit up into the stem of the Katana, but how did you take it off. I have tried heating it and cooling the stem but I can't get it to budge.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh and its an '08 Busa front end that I have.

Thanks,
                            1996 Suzuki Katana 750
                            Gixxer 1100 (141.6hp at the wheel)
                            '08 Hayabusa Front End Swap

Comment

Originally posted by Superloki24 View Post
                              I have a question about the speedometer, is a post speedo an easy swap into a pre dash? Keeping in mind that I have purchased the sprocket cover and sensor.

Going to pick up the Busa front end this weekend......
                              My second one was a lot easier than my first one. With the second gauge setup I used the bezel surround off the post and shaped it and the pre fairings to match.

Originally posted by Superloki24 View Post
                              Bump....
                              And I also have another question, may seem redundant but whatever. In the first post picture you still have teh bottom race of the Busa on the stem, and I assume that you have to take this off to have it fit up into the stem of the Katana, but how did you take it off. I have tried heating it and cooling the stem but I can't get it to budge.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh and its an '08 Busa front end that I have.

Thanks,
                              I used a dremel to cut the race off and the katana bearing is a press fit to go on. Don't use a hammer unless you want a busted bearing.

I have to say at this point and a couple of riding seasons behind my belt with this setup that it is the cheapest way to go and get such a better ride and performance out of your katana.
                              This whole setup with a rear shock can be cheaper than tuning your stock katana forks with race tech and/or ohlins. Braking is crazy compared to OEM and adjustability of the forks is crazy compared to the lack there of with the OEM
                              Last edited by ThAzKat; 01-22-2011, 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              Who knows what is next?

Comment

I have to say at this point and a couple of riding seasons behind my belt with this setup that it is the cheapest way to go and get such a better ride and performance out of your katana.
                                This whole setup with a rear shock can be cheaper than tuning your stock katana forks with race tech and/or ohlins.
                                What was the total cost for the entire swap?

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                                X