X

where to wire in at?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to wire in at?

I just got a set of heated grips for Christmas....yea!!! Where should I wire into. The lowbeam fuse is ignition only power...can i just use a put a wire off that fuse from the fuse box to my grips. They draw anywhere from 2.5-3.3 amps on high and have their own 5 amp fuse.

frankly, i'd wire it in off the batt with its own fuse.... but thats me.

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

For heated gear, Bob, I think I'd probably go with an added fuse block and just wire the bike up in one shot - 12v adapter, Powerlet... once and done, that's my thinking.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by VifferJim View Post
        For heated gear, Bob, I think I'd probably go with an added fuse block and just wire the bike up in one shot - 12v adapter, Powerlet... once and done, that's my thinking.
        And much safer. Use a factory wire just to trip a relay that powers up an accessory fuse box (or half of one, and leave the other half on constant power for cell chargers and such). By just tapping a wire, you'd be missing such an opportunity to do something interesting with it.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

so relay wise...would I get a four wire relay and basicaly hook up one wire to batt power all the time...one wire to an ignition power source....one wire to ground....and the fourth wire to power my grips. I assume that the relay then would engergize anytime the ignition is on.

Logical?

Comment

Originally posted by BobCarter View Post
            so relay wise...would I get a four wire relay and basicaly hook up one wire to batt power all the time...one wire to an ignition power source....one wire to ground....and the fourth wire to power my grips. I assume that the relay then would engergize anytime the ignition is on.

Logical?
            That is how mine is wired up. I used the California fan harness to switch the relay. I couldn't find much info on how much current that system was rated for, so I just felt better about the relay. It also means, that should I need to, I can remove all trace of the wiring harness. The system is also fused twice. I have a 20A fuse to the relay (that is the rating for the relay), and a 5A fuse to the grips.

I have to do the same on my KLR now.
            Last edited by thetable; 12-26-2009, 10:39 AM.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by BobCarter View Post

Logical?
              Yep, you've got it.

Hook pin 86 to an ignition power source, pin 30 to the battery positive, pin 85 to ground, and pin 87 will go live whenever the ignition is on. Then you could use pin 87a to power a little blinking led whenever the bike is off.....
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I was at kragens and they had somithing that plugs in where a fuse does and adds a fuse and a wire to tap into. I pulled ground off the headlights. works great. Just did the same thing as you added grip heaters.

Comment

Originally posted by randyt26 View Post
                  I was at kragens and they had somithing that plugs in where a fuse does and adds a fuse and a wire to tap into. I pulled ground off the headlights. works great. Just did the same thing as you added grip heaters.
                  The one I had, did not fit in the fuse box of my 01 Kat with the lid closed.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                    frankly, i'd wire it in off the batt with its own fuse.... but thats me.
                    That's what I did . Just don't forget to turn them off when you get to work . Or get a relay . ALSO easy & cheap .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I ended up using a relay so that it wont run without the key on. THanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                      X