No announcement yet.
X

Anyone running Nitrogen in their tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running Nitrogen in their tires?

Hello KatRiders,

I have a question that I did not find much information on in previous postings. They say that Nitrogen can be used as a supliment for regular air in automobile tires and will result in improvements for milage, handling, etc. All this is due to the fact that it maintains a more consistent tire pressue.

I have a new set of Pirelli Diablo Stratas somewhere in a UPS truck on its way to my home. Because of all the information i've seen and heard about the critical importance of tire pressure for motorcycle tires I was thinking it makes quite a bit of sense to run Nitrogen in them as well.

Does anyone on here use Nitrogen for their tires? If so have you noticed an improvement in pressure consistency and tire wear/maintenance?

Thanks....

Sam
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

But where do you get the nitrogen from?
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

We put nitrogen in aircraft tires the fact is that nitrogen doesn't contain moisture like air so that's why the pressure is more stable but it doesn't make a very big difference.If you have access to nitrogen go ahead but don't spend on this.

Comment

Thank you jfpilote! I had a feeling it would not be worth the trouble after I read up a little more on it. There are not many places in my area that have nitrogen compressors so I'll just stick to good old fashioned air.
        I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
        http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
          But where do you get the nitrogen from?
          Welding shops usually carry nitrogen.

Comment

I found a tank of liquid nitorgen at work. I think I will use that
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Nitrogen also leaks through the tire carcass at a slower rate than regular air... This means less pressure loss over time to simple through-carcass-leakage (which all tires do).

If you can find a good N2 source, use it. If not, don't sweat it...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use an acetylene, hydrogen, methane mix.

Comment

Another advantage of nitrogen is that it does not compress as much as air therefore it will remain pretty constant both hot and cold. that's why it's used in aircraft.
                  "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Comment

Working...
                  X