X

Can anyone identify this wheel?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by manowar1313 View Post
    I know I have a GS and it's a single rotor. So if it's a double rotor it's not the GS.

The GS500 wheels have the holes for double rotor. There is a plastic cover on the left side to cover them and make it "single rotor wheel".

I have one of those covers from doing a front wheel swap from a GS500 to my Kat years ago.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Don't know if the pvc can handle the compression from the torking of the front axle. All of the spacers, bearings and speedo drive are all compressed together when you tighten it all up. I have Kat rotors on my GSXR wheel now. The offset is a little less so I had to shim my calipers inward until I buy the wave rotors I want. Plus the Kat rotors are around 12 mm smaller in diameter.

Comment

I wasn't planning on putting PVC anywhere it would have to provide structure. It definitely wouldn't take it. I was thinking the speedo pickup would ride on the outer race, not the inner. That's what I get for posting past my bed time...

I'll have to see what I get. It's quite possible that the kat speedo hub will work just fine so long as I can make the bumps on the hub engage the pickup's flanges and the center contacts the inner bearing race. Since the stock bearing on that side is 42mm OD and the GSXR rim uses a 47mm OD bearing there should be a 5mm difference in diameter, meaning a 2.5mm difference in radius. Those bumps are bigger than that and, worst case, I can bend the pickup flanges out a bit. Other factor, though is that the part of the hub that engages the speedo pickup isn't directly tied to the bearing OD. That fact just throws this whole line of thinking straight into fantasy-land unless one of you gentlemen happens to have both a kat speedo pickup and a GSXR wheel lying around. Do you?

I know you'd all like to see me go with some sexy USD forks and sport bike clip-ons to turn my comfy, old classic into a Busa but let's not buy trouble, huh?
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I do and it doesn't work. Believe me, I was trying to salvage my Kat rim but scrapped all ideas and bought what fit . Speedo rides on the inner spacers and races. The only parts that turn are the tabs that fit into the hub.

Last edited by Kfreak; 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Can anyone identify this wheel?
            Is it a wheel for a motorcycle????
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            Current project: Un-Katchable
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
              I do and it doesn't work. Believe me, I was trying to salvage my Kat rim but scrapped all ideas and bought what fit . Speedo rides on the inner spacers and races. The only parts that turn are the tabs that fit into the hub.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ht=fork+length
              ??? You're saying you tried (and failed) to make a GSXR speedo pickup fit a Kat rim? I'm looking at going the exact opposite direction, matching a Kat speedo pickup to a GSXR rim. Everything that worked against you should be working for me.

I'm not sure what you're referring to in the linked thread. Jaluesing also went a different direction than I'm intending. He put a Kat 600/750 rim on the 1100 forks by custom turning an axle and reducer bushings for the forks.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I fit a Kat speedo to a GSXR rim. It wasn't a good match. The rim turns, the speedo hub is stationary . I wish I had pic's for you but I have the front end assembled and ready to be installed on my bike. The link I posted was the original route you were going with the Kat rim but you changed course.

Comment

Yeah, the Kat rim looked like a really good idea until I realized I couldn't feasibly use the 1100 axle. I don't have access to a metal lathe so I wanted to avoid having to build too many custom parts. If I can't get the Kat hub to mesh with the GSXR rim I may have to just step back and punt. Got a lathe?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Sorry, no lathe. Do you have your 1100's front wheel off? Match your speedo drive to your GSXR rim.

Comment

No, the 1100 is in riding configuration right now. I keep hoping I'll get a combination of nice weather and some time. It'd be no big deal to pull the front wheel except that the free space in the garage is full of Eureka28's 600. Besides, the GSXR rim hasn't arrived yet.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                      X