X

Going on First Long-Distance Trip

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on First Long-Distance Trip

In a few weeks I am going on my first long distance trip, about 2500 miles. I was wondering what I should do to prepare for this trip, both for me and my bike? If you have any suggestions please tell me, all will be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Exercise and stretch for weeks beforehand if you can. -Seriously

Check the bike over well. -tires, battery, fuses, lights/signals...scan for any leaks or other potential problems.

Wrap everything in plastic inside the bags, even if the manufacturer claims the bags are 'water-proof'.

Invest in and bring good raingear.

Get the oil changed and do a really good check-ride before the ride. -Not the day before the ride...

Plan your route and follow your plan.

During the ride:

Stop frequently to take a breather/enjoy some sights....

A decent bike comm. system would be a nice investment if you're riding in a group. -Sure makes the trip more fun.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Thanks, I'm looking at getting some leather pants with knee sliders but i don't want to like really hot since we are leaving end of July, and going to hit up Sturgis on our way back to Minnesota.. Thanks for the advice Nero.... CyberPoet do you have any suggestions?

Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Comment

1) The tool kit is under your seat - yes, the tools look almost useless, but they are designed to fit just about everything if you need a quick roadside fix.
        2) Lube everything that needs lubing before you leave.
        3) As Nero said - raingear. There is almost nothing more uncomfortable as riding soaking wet for hundreds of miles.
        4) Water - if you are driving for long periods in July it is essential.
        5) Cam/Vid-cam.
        It's always fun to talk about your long ride to your friends, but pictures are worth 1000 words.
        Drive faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

Comment

On #5, might I suggest picking up one of the CVS one time use camcorders. For thirty bucks you get an OK camcorder that can be fairly easily modified to hook up to a USB port so they can be reused. The best thing about it is, it is cheap enough that if you drop it or soak it or lose it, no big deal.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
          X