X

Bad vibration???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad vibration???

I have a bad bar and bike vibration at 3800 to 5500 RPM. Local dealer told me it was the timing chain tensionor not holding the chain tight enough. I can hear some noise from the right side of the engine. The bike only has 5700km on it. Is this something I can do on my own? So much for going to Port Dover
    Gripp & Regripp

Re: Bad vibration???

Originally posted by Gripp
    I have a bad bar and bike vibration at 3800 to 5500 RPM. Local dealer told me it was the timing chain tensionor not holding the chain tight enough. I can hear some noise from the right side of the engine. The bike only has 5700km on it. Is this something I can do on my own? So much for going to Port Dover
    (A) Your dealer is almost assuredly wrong. The reason I say this is because the "dreaded" cam chain tensioner issue usually only occurs to older Kats with significantly higher mileages that have used poor oil choices -- and the oil gummed up in the tensioner assembly. Your bike is new enough that even if haven't changed the oil (ever) it shouldn't have the cam chain tensioner issue yet. Additionally, the cam chain runs right down the center of the engine and shouldn't induce feedback as you described (rather, it sounds like a sewing machine at low RPM's). Have you checked to see if the problem manifests itself on the centerstand at those RPM's as well -- or only if you are driving? If it doesn't do it while standing still, you can rule out the cam chain tensioner definitively.

(B) It is almost guaranteedly your tires. Check them for front-to-back treadblock wear (where the front edge of one treadblock isn't even with the rear of the next treadblock) -- particularly prone to happen on the stock tires (Macadams & Dunlops), esp. if the tire pressure has been run lowwer than ideal for the rider+load weight. If no uneven wear is evident, have them rebalanced -- if uneven wear is evident, get new tires (there are far better tires on the market than either of the stock tires) and run the tire pressure a bit higher, plus check the pressure more often.

(C) If you have ever dropped the bike, the problem may lie elsewhere, most likely a bent handlebar extension (if both handlebars don't have the same angle to them, it will amplify the natural tendency to vibration). Search the forums for vibration to get all the possible causes (including brake rotors warped, front axle bent, non-retracting caliper piston, bent rim, bad headstock bearings, unbalanced carbs, dire need of a valve adjustment).

Still, given the age, the mileage and the symptoms (plus you never having said you dropped it), I am going to say it is most likely item (B).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The vibration is engine related, it does it in neutral and driving always around 3500 to 5500 RPM's it feels like a engine imbalance. I thought it was normal until a friend of mine drove it. Its never been dropped, and its not just the bar vibration its a whole bike vibration. I think it has gotten worse since last year.
      Gripp & Regripp

Comment

Originally posted by Gripp
        The vibration is engine related, it does it in neutral and driving always around 3500 to 5500 RPM's it feels like a engine imbalance. I thought it was normal until a friend of mine drove it. Its never been dropped, and its not just the bar vibration its a whole bike vibration. I think it has gotten worse since last year.
        Have a competent mechanic do the valve adjustment and resync the carbs, plus check the cam chain (which is easily accessible during a valve adjustment to check for slop). Call it a standard 7500 or 15000 mile service to minimize total costs for the service (since both of those services include valve adjustments). Be sure to tell the service writer to write up the ticket with reference to the vibration.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think I may have found the source of the vibe. The hanger on my hindle slip-on was making contact with foot rest bracket. I adjusted the hanger, I, ll take it out tomorow and see. Thanks for the info.
          Gripp & Regripp

Comment

Working...
          X