X

"Taming the Beast"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Taming the Beast"

Ok, I just got my 98 Kat 750 and though it looks and sounds great, it's a "Heavy Beast" when it comes to backing-up and very slow movement. Any tips from you "Kat Masters" out there on how to "Tame the Beast" in these types of maneuvers so I don't spend a lot of time finding-out just how heavy it is by picking it up 100 times off the deck? I'm about 5'8" and can touch the ground on the bike with the balls of my feet (short inseam), so I don't really want to lower it even though I found a lot of info on this site on how to do so.

Last edited by cybrnathan; 08-25-2008, 07:22 AM.
    Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Take a course, take your time, take extreme care.

Gut instincts and common sense... Never leave home without them.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowK View Post
      Take a course, take your time, take extreme care.

Gut instincts and common sense... Never leave home without them.
      sigpic
      Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

Luckily my MSF course is this weekend

Comment

They will teach you about counter-balancing during slow turns and such. IMHO that course is WELL worth the price!
          sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
          '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
          '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Lower the bike so you can touch flat footed. It really helps backing up if you can actually get some leverage on the bike instead of just tip toeing it. On your '98, lowering links aren't expensive at all, and only takes a couple hours to complete. On a 0 to 5 hardness scale, I'd give it a 2 since it involves lining stuff up and needing a helper or a way to raise and lower the rear wheel by yourself.

You can also get a corbin saddle custom made to lower yourself, which is just a bit spendy, or order lower profile tires the next time you need them. You can also shave foam out of the stock seat, but I would give that a 4, since it requires a good eye and an intuition on how much foam to remove.

The bike feels much better when you can flat foot it.

Comment

find and empty parking lot and pratice your slow turns

Comment

you guys should move to PA... the MSF courses are free here...
                Big Mike

1980 Monte Carlo
                2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
                2000 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

once you take the MSF course find a empty parking lot and just start doin slow circles, figgure 8's and such. practice practice practice. Also find an empty stretch you can accelorate a little and practice braking hard. any idiot can twist a throttle, but if you cant stop quick safely, you're dead meat. Someone here has the line (paraphrased) zero to 60 time dont matter, it's 60 to zero that does. I put my 2 cents in about lowering on your seat shaving question post.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Is that for real? It's $350 in my neck of the wood for the MSF Basic Rider course!
                    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by GSXF View Post
                      Is that for real? It's $350 in my neck of the wood for the MSF Basic Rider course!
                      As low as $90 in VA, but there's a wait of about 5-6 mths depending on the city

Comment

Lower the bike so that you can be flat footed. Either that or back up the bike by getting off the bike. Otherwise, you will eventually drop the bike when your foot slips. The bike is top heavy and you really should have good footing when moving it around
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

grrr

Originally posted by GSXF View Post

I'm in Idaho and they don't even have a MSF course here, so i'm learning everything the old fashioned way. I really wish they had one here.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrepp61 View Post
                            As long as you have a PA driver's license... Otherwise it's $250, and they don't even cut any slack for active duty military.
                            sigpic
                            Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

Originally posted by cybrnathan View Post
                              Ok, I just got my 98 Kat 750 and though it looks and sounds great, it's a "Heavy Beast" when it comes to backing-up and very slow movement. Any tips from you "Kat Masters" out there on how to "Tame the Beast" in these types of maneuvers so I don't spend a lot of time finding-out just how heavy it is by picking it up 100 times off the deck? I'm about 5'8" and can touch the ground on the bike with the balls of my feet (short inseam), so I don't really want to lower it even though I found a lot of info on this site on how to do so.

lean the bike way over, dump the clutch and spin it around in a donut, just be sure to feather the clutch before you let off or the bike may hook up and take off on you. well thats how i do it anyway
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                              X