X

Rebuilding forks, decision time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding forks, decision time

I've got a bad seal on one fork, so I'll be taking them both off and rebuilding them. First, I need to decide on if it's worth doing any upgrades like the emulator, the spacer mod, or leave as is. I never push the bike around turns since I'm not a great rider yet and am still learning limits and control. I don't plan on ever taking the bike much more than a spirited ride around some back roads. Most of my riding is in a straight line and I like to keep a reasonable comfort level.

Looking at some of the rebuild kits online, I see the K&L kit which includes everything and is priced just under $50 per fork. Is that an expected price? Could I get away with just a good cleaning and new seal/dust caps? I'm assuming that will need to wait until I tear the forks apart and see the condition of the sliders.

I've heard that the emulator mod is really a good upgrade, but I'm worried that I won't tell much of a difference or take advantage of it's improved handling. Probably planning on keeping the bike for 2-3 years and moving up to something different, so I'm not too concerned with performance upgrades, but rather improving my skill set. Suggestions on rebuild kits and oil would be much appreciated.

K&L kit - http://www.amazon.com/FORK-TUBE-REBU.../dp/B0055DQSGC

Fork oil planned to be used - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A30UY5IZ1VQRNY

contact Tmod here on the forum he is the resident suspension person
    Ride like it's your last ride
    sigpic

Comment

If you already know you are only keeping the bike for a couple years just do the refresh and leave it alone. New oil changed the feel on mine. I did put springs for my weight but was expecting to have it longer than I did.

Comment

make sure you don't have a nick in fork tube where seal slides. +1 on RaceTech springs for your weight.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I just put 1.0 kg racetechs and CE's in my forks. OMFG. Thats about the only words i got. whole different bike.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
            i just put 1.0 kg racetechs and ce's in my forks. Omfg. Thats about the only words i got. Whole different bike.
            +10000000
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
              I just put 1.0 kg racetechs and CE's in my forks. OMFG. Thats about the only words i got. whole different bike.
              Only change was the springs? No emulators or anything else?

Comment

CE = cartridge emulators
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks shpielers. Yes fork Springs, rebound springs, emulators, inner/outter bushings, fork seals, dust caps, and crush washers on the bottom bolts. The whole 9. I think it cost me like $350 total. Money well spent.
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

+1 whole different ride.....well worth the money
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Took the forks apart last night after work. They look to be in really good shape aside from one or two marks on the bushings. Looks like I'll just replace everything while I'm in there. Don't think the extra $200-250 is worth it for me for springs and emulators, but I'll look around and see if I can find some deals.

Comment

Correct springs will always be worth it. Emulators are debatable.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Are OEM springs progressive? The ones that were in the bike when I took it apart were linear. Wondering if they were changed by the previous owner...

Comment

Working...
                          X