X

on my way to work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on my way to work

Half way to work the bike starts acting up. Around 4000 rpms its boggin like it need more fuel . Could this be due to not warming up long enough before I left? I was late for work so i had to go.

it could be, how cold was it in the morning?

after riding for a few minutes did the problem go away?
    Last edited by shift6; 09-12-2012, 08:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not likey. Sounds more like a fuel starvation issue to me. Something that may be preventing the carb bowls to fill up fast enough to meet demand. You didn't mention if you have a pre or post katana... one of them, I don't remember which, has a fuel filter. If you're does, I would check that, any kinked fuel lines or crud in the bottom of the tank that may be clogging the petcock. If all those check out, it might be time to clean the carbs.

Another possiblity could be arcing from one or more of the spark plug cables that occurs at high rpm. You might try running the bike in a dark garage, rev it up to 4k rpm and see if you notice any arcing.

These are just the things that I would check. I am by no means an expert.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

It was around 50 degrees this morning with a thick layer of dew.wonder if something is arcing cause if it was the mostiure would affect the way its running right.?

Oh its a 97 600
        Last edited by jmd32477; 09-12-2012, 08:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

My money is on the fuel system, possibly a float stuck closed on one carb? It's a longshot but

Check proper petcock operation, make sure you're getting fuel to all 4 bowls.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thats where i will start checkin thanks guys

Comment

Good luck and please tell us what was going on after you find the problem.

Comment

I am such an ars. So this is what happend. It was starvin for fuel alright. When i bought the bike off the po he told me the reserve switch was bad. I took it as it was stuck on reserve. No its stuck in the on position . Acouple of gallons of gas and she is runnin good again. I did however get pay attention to my new tire on the way home boy it was nice goin around a corner without feelin like i was gonna fall over lol. Sorry about the false alarm.

Comment

Sounds like a petcock rebuild is in order for someone in the very near future....
                  My country is the world...... my religion is to do good.

Comment

Yeah. I bought the bike a couple weeks ago. I have been tryin to get all the stuff i can. Time and money is my enemy lol

Comment

Same boat you in. Love my bike, but the more I really look into it, the more things I know I need to replace or repair. My first bike, and memories of of my first car keep coming back. In life sometimes you can have all the advice in the world, but sometimes you just have to live through it to learn.

Comment

Petcock rebuild is easy, fast and cheap! $13 and maybe 2 hrs worth of time. When it comes to the fuel system, I wouldnt push it off.
                        If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

Where are you finding a petcock rebuild kit for $13? Best I've seen is $20.

Not that $20 is outrageous or anything; I do keep a list of parts places, though and it's always good to have another source on hand.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have been doing my best getting this wounded kat back on her feet again. I can not understand how people trust their lives on an a machine thats neglected. I am not payin the price for someone elses stupidity! By next spring she will be ready to roar! Lol can u upload pics from your phone here or does it have to be from a home pc? Everytime I look at it somthing new appears. Dude seemed to of fixed alot of stuff w eletrical tape. Think im on the right path changed the oil, rear tire, cleaned, adjusted, lubed chain. Replaced headlight w brighter one and have the front tire to put on.Then ill tackle petcock.
                            Last edited by jmd32477; 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

To post photos you have to put them up on Photobucket, Picassa or somewhere like that. Then click on the yellow/grey button above where you're typing your post to open a little box where you put the link to the photo.

For the electrical issues, invest in some heat shrink tubing, a soldering iron, solder and a tube of resin flux paste. Oh, and clean the flux off using rubbing alcohol before shrinking the tubing over the soldered connection. Do that and you'll never have to worry about that wire again. Resort to crimp-on connectors and you'll be back over and over again.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X