X

Oil temp gauge?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do u put a T in the line out of the motor? The
    Lines are oring seal braided lines with 2 bolt mounting flange. Don't want to use compression fittings either as I'm not a fan. If u have a pic of the adapter needed please post.

How do the cyl head temp senders work? Where do they fit into the head? And how?
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

WEll I took the ignition cover off to mod the timing backing plate for 3* advance. I set it all up but when I put it back together with the 3* timing mark set at advanced and installed the Mag Pickup (i marked the stock timing rotor where the mag pickup was) the mark on the rotor was still in line with the mag pickup as it was stock. Even with the backing plate rotated 3*. I dnt think there is any play in the mag pickup for adjustment. Does this seem correct? I thought if I moved the backing plate 3* then the mag pickup would also be rotated 3*, but its still in line.

Now after all that I checked the plug in the picture I uploaded earlier, I pulled that plug and there was a very long strong spring, So i put it back together. THen I pulled the next plug which was right below the oil pressure sensor under the timing cover (right side cover with suzuki on it). This plug is an oring plug in a port which is long and narrow, looks like the oil pressure sender would tap into it. I put the plug back in but I took a pic of it since I dnt have any tools to measure metric threads. THe pic shows the plug next to a 3/8" NPT adapter fitting. the threads are close but they are not 3/8" NPT.

any Ideas on the thread size of this plug? or even if this port can be used for a temp sender?

Comment

It's going to be metric
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

yea I know. I said I don't have any tools to measure metric just standard. Thats why i posted the picture so someone can tell me what size it is. If its almost the same size as 3/8" NPT then someone should be able to tell me what size that is. Like one size above or below kinda thing.

Comment

Just went through the entire manual. THe plug in the front below the oil filter is called the "Relief valve plug and inside is the relief spring".

The plug below the oil pressure switch sender under the ignitor is called the "main oil gallery plug" and is used for oil pressure testing. Unfortunatly they don't give me a thread size on the plug. But I think its around 16mm as the 3/8" NPT plug has a 16.9mm outer thread DIA.

Comment

oil temp would be nice . hell .... my 89 vw GTI has a stock oil temp indicator. . where would you put the gauge though?
              im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Im going to put the sender in the stock main oil gallery oil pressure port plug. Its right below the ignition cover on the right hand side. I think its 16mmx1.5 but well find out. If there is enough room you could also use a 90* tee and put an oil pressure gauge as well.

Once I get the gauge and adapter fitting ill try to put it on and see how it works. Honestly IDK why the bikes didn't come with them, oil is the most important part of an air cooled motor, oil has double duty. Its more important than a D@MN gas gauge.

Comment

Update. Oil temp send has been installed in the main oil gallery plug with the metric M16x1.5 adapter. New gauges installed in the cluster and it all worked great! no leaks and the gauge was telling me in the cooler weather high 70's today my oil temp barely got to 140*F, tonights ride oil temps stayed around 140-160*F.

here is a video of the new fuel/oil temp gauges.
                  xhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AuXsHCy_QY&feature=youtu.be

YouTube (Short URL)
                  Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 09-13-2012, 11:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Glowshift gauges on 1990 katana gauge cluster mod
                    1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                    1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                    Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

You wouldnt have a day light shot of the cluster would you

Comment

yup! This is it all done. But without the key on so no lights.

today was warmer and oil temps got to 200*F but would drop to 180*F after moving for a little.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                          yup! This is it all done. But without the key on so no lights.

today was warmer and oil temps got to 200*F but would drop to 180*F after moving for a little.
                          Looks nice I now have another project to add to the list

Comment

Working...
                          X