X

98+ Race Windscreen *LOTSA PICS*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ Race Windscreen *LOTSA PICS*

One of my least favorite parts of the 98+ Katana for the last 10 years has been the windscreen. I've always wanted something that looked a bit racier. So after a decade of staring at the short stubby screen I decided to do something about it. For those of you who have seen my build thread or might be interested, here's the write up on the mod.

Materials:
    1994-2008 Stock or Aftermarket Kawasaki EX500/Ninja 500R Windscreen
    Machine Screw/Bolt and matching Nut
    2 zip ties

Tools:
    Sharpie Marker
    Dremel with some sort of grinding bit
    Drill and Bits
    The ones you need to disassemble your front end

Ok, to start with, take apart your front faring around the headlight assembly. You don't need to take the cowlings completely off. Just take loose enough of the fasteners to get clear access to the windscreen. Pop the body fasteners that hold your stock screen in place and take it completely out. Resist the temptation to burn it at this point, we still need it for a bit.

Now, we need to create a hole in the new screen to fasten it down to the bike. This is what the machine screw/bolt and nut are for.

First find the center of the screen along the bottom edge and mark it with the sharpie.

Hold the screen on the bike and line the edges of the highest mount holes with the dash shroud. You'll have to flatten the screen slightly to get it to line up. From this position look at where the bottom mount hole needs to be drilled. It should be about 1 3/8 inches from the bottom edge of the screen. As close as possible, mark where your hole needs to go with the sharpie, referencing your center mark to make sure you're centered.

Take the screen back to the bench and drill a hole through it where your mark is large enough for the machine screw/bolt. I don't remember the size of the machine screw I used. Frankly it was something I had laying around the shop. The size doesn't matter much so long as its big enough to hold to the body.

Here's the pic again. You can see the center mark and the hole drilled through inside the red circles.

Now the bottom edge of the screen needs to be reshaped to fit the Katana. This is where your old screen comes in. Place your old screen on top of the EX500 screen and line up the bottom mount hole in the Katana screen with the one you just drilled. The more anal retentive you are with this the happier you'll be with the finished product. Use the sharpie to trace the bottom edge of the Katana screen onto the EX screen. Do your best to keep everything symmetrical from left to right. When you're done it'll look like this.

Now fire up your Dremel with a grinder bit and chop off everything below the black line.

Here we are half way done.

And now completely finished. In the second pic you can see my old screen next to the modified EX screen.

OK time to put it on the bike. Take your new screen to the bike, run the screw/bolt through the screen and the lower mount and nut the back side.
    You should be looking like this now. Notice the cut out you did allows the cowls to fit back where they should.

Now we've got it on but we need some lateral support. This is where we're going to have to resort to zip ties since Kawasaki didn't leave us enough material to work with.
    Press down to flatten the screen so that the edges fill out the slot between the dash shroud and front cowls where your old windscreen would've gone. While in place, mark the screen just above the crossmember of the support bracket. You need to thread a zip tie through the screen and around the crossmember on either side of the screen to hold it at the desired curve.

Don't worry about the zip tie. You're never going to see it. Here's a close up.

Tighten down your zip ties to get the screen to stay at the desired curve. Tighten evenly on both sides until you get it where you need it. If you get it too tight, don't worry just cut the ties and try again.

We're almost done. We need to grind out a bit more of the screen to allow the screw that runs through the dash shroud and into the cowl at the top to get through. Grab your grinder and carve out a notch at the top where the screw needs to go through. Not so much mind you that you get outside the dash shroud but just enough to allow the cowl to seat properly. Some trial and error may be in order here as you're really close to the edge and you don't to see the cuts.

Now we're ready to bolt everything back together. If you got it all right it should all go back together just like before. You're not going to be using the top two windscreen mount holes in the cowl. What I did to plug them is use windscreen mount nuts (the ones that are black rubber that a hex head body screw goes into) and the original screw. This makes it look like the hole is in use, even though its effectively doing nothing.

Here's the finished screen.

Its not a perfect fit by any means. You can see in the pics that the top mount hole in the screen is visible outside the cowl. Also there is a smallish gap between the screen and the centerpiece of the faring. Minor things that I can live with but worth mentioning for those that can't.

Performance wise, I'd say its an improvement. The modified screen redirects air flow lower and into the chest, reducing buffeting around the helmet and shoulders. It does increase the noise level inside the helmet somewhat because your head is fully in the unbroken airstream. Don't suppose the noise bothers me terribly as I wear earplugs on rides of any length anyway.

This is the second time I've done this mod. The first was with a very old screen I had laying around and involved a lot of experimentation. The second time I followed this method exactly with a newer screen and you can see the results.

All in all I've got about $25 into this mod. Found someone on an EX500 forum that had an old stock screen that they sent to me for $25 shipped. I had a couple of windscreen fasteners in the shop from another project.
    The whole process took me about an hour, longer to write up than to actually do.

Anyway, that's the long and short of it. Hope this proves helpful to some of you who'd like a sportier look for their Kat. My relationship with my Katana has been a love-hate relationship. This little mod pushes things a little more into the love category for me.

Joe
    If it ain't zip tied, it ain't modified.

sigpic

Nice

I like the look but I prefer a taller screen to block the wind - I am more of a sport tourer/commuter than a sport rider.

+1 for a true custom piece.

Comment

wow you've put a LOT of work into making that bike yours...I LIKE IT!!
      I like'em naked!!

Comment

I am not sure if I will ever do that but thanks for the great write-up. You put alot of time it to it and it really shows--AWESOME JOB!
        American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

could you not just cut the windshield another 1/2 to 1 inch up for the center hole and then the top hole would be covered by the fairing?

P.S. Nice write, considering this mod!

Comment

you got a pretty sick lookin bike there!
            -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

decided to buy a one of those screens myself today, from looking at your other post, then saw this write up cant wait to try
              sigpic

Comment

Cool...looks like alot of work...and patience

Comment

looks much more sporty, definatly considering this
                  New Ride

Sold Kat

Comment

You can absolutely cut it to whatever suits your taste. My version is about as long as you can go but if the holes bother you then you can certainly go shorter. My priority was the sweep of the screen. Dropping it down made it look like a wider taller version of the stock screen. Ideally I'd like to find an undrilled screen, maybe from Zero Gravity. Its a pretty low priority right now. The major focus was on the tailsection mod and the screen was an afterthought that just happened to work out well.

As to actually doing it...like I said it took longer to write up than actually do. Pretty easy and cheap (if you can find a used stock screen in good condition for cheap) mod.

Joe
                    If it ain't zip tied, it ain't modified.

sigpic

Comment

lookin good, i need to figure somethin out for a pre
                      95 suZuki katana
                      Autozone rattlecan MoD

Comment

i ordered the zero gravity screen so ill post up about the holes when i get it.
                        sigpic

Comment

I HATE the stock screen and will be doing this for sure.

As for the holes... i'll be painting my screen black so If i need to/want to I will just fill the holes and gaps with epoxy and sand um smooth then paint

thanks for the write up/how to
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Good news zero gravity screen came in looks freaking sweet....

the bad news is, is that its apparently pretty easy to crack them when you are drilling holes. and in my haste this happened!

so i guess i'll have to order another one and try again....
                            sigpic

Comment

Are you using an acrylic drill bit?

Originally posted by seabass10369 View Post
                              Good news zero gravity screen came in looks freaking sweet....

the bad news is, is that its apparently pretty easy to crack them when you are drilling holes. and in my haste this happened!

so i guess i'll have to order another one and try again....

Comment

Working...
                              X