X

SKULL FACE & BRAIN BUCKET FLESH GEAR PIT JACKET

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good gravy guys 'n gals!!

Lots o' back-n-forth on this one... but, I think the bottom line is this: If you're going to wear gear - and IMHO you SHOULD wear gear - wear gear that's going to actually give you some meaningful level of protection if you go down.

If you've only got $85 to buy a helmet, Guess what - if you shop around long enough and do your homework, you'll find one for that much that will give you a comfortable fit and adequate protection.

If you've only got $20 for gloves - shop and do your homework and get the ones that offer the best fit and most protection.

Same for boots and jackets. I just picked up a new, fully lined, CE armored Nitro jacket for $90. And, a used, heavier, leather HJC for colder weather for just $75. The moral is: do your homework and spend your money wisely.

Used gear (except for a used helmet - I personally draw the line there) is fine for everyday riding and costs a fraction of what it would cost new.

If you choose not to wear any gear at all, that's your choice - you'll get no respect from me (I'll mutter "stupid squid" or something similar under my breath as you pass by). By the same token, I won't call you out as a squid until you say, "Hey - Look at me, I'm not wearing any gear. Aren't I cool?"

BTW - I have a cage that guzzles gas like I drink beer... I ride the bike to save me money and keep the miles down. I drive alone to work and getting 50 mpg beats the snot out of getting 18 any day of the week. Is it a necessity? Prolly no. It's closer to being a toy, but I still get plenty of utility out of it.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Well, I agree with all. Something is better than nothing, and we can't all afford the best. I am not sure that any type of riding gear is all that great protection at highway speeds, but I do wear mine.

Best not to use it for its real purpose by driving as safely as possible and hoping not to run into a bad situation.
      What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

any one have an opinion on the icon timax gloves? they look pretty beefy

Comment

I prefer a textile jacket if I can't afford a higher quality leather one. Alot of people jump on the whole leather bandwagon but a great textile jacket is much better than a lousy leather one. Thin leather jackets are almost worthless IMO. Gimmee a damn cowhide that's take a tumble at 50. Some of the textile jackets have some great armor built in at key points too. -And I'd rather buy a textile jacket to use for a few months than be saving up for a nice leather one and go down during that saving process with nothing on.

As for helmets, DOT-approved is nice, Snell is a li'l better. I don't care for the name BS and I'd frankly rather have 4 HJC and THH helmets than a single $700 Arai as long as they're meeting the same safety criterion.

I know things are tough financially when you're just starting out, but just about any helmet is better than nothing, and seriously speaking, who really can't afford at least a basic $70 DOT-approved helmet at some point within the first few of months of riding?
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I crashed in a textile jacket . I was not impressed . I got a leather one designed for riding for the same price as my textile one . Ain't wrecked in it yet , but it sure seems a bit more stout ....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Have you ever seen a cow with road-rash? No. I guess they either make a great jacket or they're great bikers and never low-side it.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by CANATUNA
                Did you go down in them? You wear gear for the crash not the ride.
                No, I never went down with them on. Its better than nothing. You wear gear for the ride as well. ...
                I wrecked in cheap un-armored gloves and tore up my hands pretty bad, had to do physical therapy on my right hand due to deep tissue damage and very torqued ligaments, It sucked

So are you saying that if there was no chance of a crash that you wouldnt wear any gear?
                No gear? Nahh that'd be cold. But If I knew that there was absolutely ZERO chance of me going down, I'd ride in significantly less. But I know that isn't the case, cause I've gone down.

A textile jacket is better than no jacket at all.
                Wrecked in one of those, same wreck as the other. My right arm was unprotected to the point that it was worn down to the muscle due to the jacket moving around, and it was my size. I no longer am willing to wear textile, that really hurt.
                Not trying to pick on you man, I promise. I HAVE wrecked in cheap un-armored gloves similar to the mechanics, that really hurt. I wrecked in an amrored JR textile jacket in jeans. That REALLY freaking hurt.
                I'm more than willing to link to pictures or meet up with an unconvinced friend any time, that sucked and I wouldn't wish it upon another rider.

is crappy gear better than no gear? Sure. Is there any reasonable excuse for riding in less than par gear? Yes, but only several.
                Do yourself a favor, ride in protective stuff, wrecking really hurts.
                Live and Lean.
                When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                Romans 3:23

Comment

Working...
                X