X

iPod Wireless Remote review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod Wireless Remote review

Well, as many of you may have heard, I've been tinkering again... this time, trying to figure out a simple iPod remote control that I could have at the handlebars, preferably without wires...

This weekend, I did a nice long trip to Fort Lauderdale and back (about 580 miles round-trip) with the Griffin AirClick wireless remote strapped to the left handlebar between the clutch and the riser (fits perfectly there), with the iPod in my inside chest pocket on the my leather jacket.
    Here's the results:

works with traditional iPod and iPod mini. Connects to top of unit, covering ear jack and hold switch of traditional ipods.
    Draws power from the iPod's main battery.
    Remote has it's own "hold" button; hold button on iPod should be set to "on" before inserting the AirClick (doesn't affect operation), unless you want button presses on the actual iPod to register.
    seems to cut the iPod's battery life by about 30%. I can't explain that high a battery consumption level for a simple receiver.
    Sometimes certain radio-sources blocked the operation of the remote (such as running next to a large semi with high-power CB's active); fortunately, it didn't take any invalid instructions from elsewhere, just blocked button presses temporarily.
    Buttons are reasonable sized, but I could see a problem with thickly padded winter-style gloves (I was wearing thin leather gloves) or for those with really thick fingers.
    If you use a case for your iPod and it does not leave the complete top of the unit open, you'll have to skip using the case with the AirClick remote, because the receiver needs to mate flush to the top of the iPod. I normally iPod Armor (steel case), but the top-design doesn't permit mating of the remote.
    The remote did just fine in the pouring rain when I rode through it. Mounting location next to the handlebar risers kept rain from being forced into the unit under pressure from forward motion (dash & windshield in the way of the rain) and it seemed not to care about a bit of rain at a standstill.
    Remote uses a watch battery that is expected to be good for two to five years.
    took me a little while to figure out why it was acting flakey at first -- realized that I hadn't disabled the buttons on the iPod itself (by switching the hold switch to 'hold' on the iPod), and with the lack of the case I usually use, the buttons on the iPod were being activated by the wind pressing the iPod against my chest... Once I got that figured out, all was good.
    Remote allows for all the same control as the wired remote that comes with the 10 to 40Gb iPods.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Last edited by The CyberPoet; 09-10-2009, 03:39 AM. Reason: 2009: Updated URL for product
    Remember The CyberPoet

I can't see using headphones while riding a bike. Wouldn't it drown out anything you'd want to be aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by nurider
      I can't see using headphones while riding a bike. Wouldn't it drown out anything you'd want to be aware of?
      I have headphone speakers built into the helmet... but because they sit about a 1/4 to 1/3" off the ears, I can hear outside traffic, sirens, etc., just fine.

On top of this, I wear permanent earplugs (which quiet both the outside noises, such as wind-noise, and the stereo output of the speakers). Reducing the noise of everything in a noisy environment makes it far easiers to pick out the ambient sounds I want to concentrate on -- for all the same reasons that it's easier to understand a conversation in a hushed resteraunt than it is to understand the same conversation in a dance club or rock concert. The lower the total sound levels, the easier for your mind to separate out a single noise source. And when riding long distances, reducing the wind noise greatly reduces the total fatigue level.

As for the earplugs -- ask around; I've gotten a lot of KR members wearing them now as standard riding gear.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by "The CyberPoet
        As for the earplugs -- ask around; I've gotten a lot of KR members wearing them now as standard riding gear.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Courtesy of the Arsenic donation "scheme", I have those. They're great.

Comment

I've used my iPod for awhile now and its pretty easy to still hear outside noise while its on. I rode with my brother this weekend and we could still hold a conversation at each stop light, even with it playing in my ear.

I'm sure gonna try that remote idea though. That sounds awesome.
          You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Comment

Working...
          X